UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2006, 1:09 am   #1
davegostelow
Retired Dormant Member

Default Which 405 converter to get?

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a 625 to 405 line converter and modulator. The question is, which one to get? From what I have read, I like the look of either the Aurora or the design by Darius (oldeurope) that is featured in another thread here. The Aurora comes built, but I would have to pay import costs/VAT. The Darius design: is that finished, and can I buy a kit of parts, or bare circuit boards?

Any recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 2:58 am   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Which 405 converter to get?

Hi Dave,

don't forget the "Fools on the Hill" LINUX box approach - this is also fairly easy to achieve. Links to the relevant data are here:
http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/fothtv.htm
For a straighforward "off the shelf" product, it has to be the simple Arora, which includes a modulator and test card - it is unbeatable value for money.
If you want to build your own, then Darius's design gives excellent results, and is known to be repeatable (Peter Scott has also built one based on an early prototype).
If you want to use different standards, then you either have to have the original Aurora, which does most electronic and mechanical standards, but requires external modulators, and is quite expensive (around £400, but again, fantastic value), or you can go the FOTH route, which will generate the electroni standards between 240 and 819 lines (and HDTV standards), but still requires modulators, and an RGB combiner. With the current cost of reasonable spec 2nd user PC's, this can be an attractive route.

Hope that helps you!

Jim.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 8:40 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Don't worry too much about Aurora import costs. Just assume you are going to be done for about £30 and factor it into the price. At the current US$ rate that will make the total cost no more than £180. At present the only advertised payment method for Aurora is Paypal. If you don't have Paypal then you'll need to ask a friend to help or contact Darryl and ask nicely if there's any other route.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 11:15 am   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon View Post
If you want to build your own, then Darius's design gives excellent results, and is known to be repeatable Jim.
I would echo Jim's comments and say that if you like the build it yourself route then Darius' designs are very good.

Peter.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 11:54 am   #5
beery
Heptode

Hi Dave,
I have seen the results of Mike Holding's converter (I bought one years ago), the Dinosour, the Domino, FothTV, the Arura, David Boynes' converter, David looser's converter, my own poor attempt at a converter and the BBC digital converter.

FothTV is very cheap and quite fun, but I am having a few teething troubles with this myself. I am having to learn all about Linux error messages which is fun, but you really need to have a properly working TV to set the thing up with (I might have ago at a 640 x 480/405 line monitor!).

I have to say that the Arura is one of the best converters I have seen and represents really super value for money. The test card facility (frame grabber pre programmed with test card 'C') and the 13 channel modulator make it worth so much more than it costs. So I would say buy this first and then you can start collecting other standards converters after that!

Cheers
Andy
Old 17th Nov 2006, 12:48 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I thought I knew about all the 405 converters that had been built but Mike Holding is a new name to me.

Despite my position as the objective reviewer I have to confess that I'd recommend an Aurora. It's a zero hassle approach, the quality is second to none and the price is very fair. If you subsequently decide you are interested in converters (as against 405 tellies) then have a go at Darius's design and/or FothTV.

Pace Kat, I know that FothTV is not strictly speaking a converter.
Old 18th Nov 2006, 11:21 am   #7
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegostelow View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a 625 to 405 line converter and modulator. The question is, which one to get? From what I have read, I like the look of either the Aurora or the design by Darius (oldeurope) that is featured in another thread here. The Aurora comes built, but I would have to pay import costs/VAT. The Darius design: is that finished, and can I buy a kit of parts, or bare circuit boards?

Any recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
I stopped making the kit since there was no reply on the thread:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...?t=7795&page=3
I have a small quantity of PCBs for it.

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 18th Nov 2006, 12:13 pm   #8
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Pace Kat, I know that FothTV is not strictly speaking a converter.[
I admire your knack for heading off trouble Jeffrey

I have a Pineapple converter, that I built from odds end ends I bought when the original project folded a decade or so ago. It gives good results, but I have modified the input to add an improved analogue signal conditioning stage (black level clamp etc).

If one of these comes up on eBay (etc) at a realistic price, I would recommend it. However, the "realistic Price" has come down massively since the "cut down” Aurora came onto the scene. I have not (yet!!) got one of these, but from the glowing reports from those that know what they are talking about, I suspect it is superb (especially for the price).
Old 19th Nov 2006, 12:55 am   #9
Danny
Heptode

Hi thay are still making mony on ebay a couple of dominos have sold recently at £390 each thay only cost £400 . and the dinosaur would
be one to find for the collector of standards converters. i have two
pineapples and both give good results. Danny
Old 19th Nov 2006, 10:16 am   #10
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi thay are still making mony on ebay a couple of dominos have sold recently at £390 each thay only cost £400 . and the dinosaur would
be one to find for the collector of standards converters. i have two
pineapples and both give good results. Danny
I think in the future they will be more expensive because production of Domino has ended.

Darius
Old 19th Nov 2006, 6:12 pm   #11
evingar
Octode

Quote:
the dinosaur would
be one to find for the collector of standards converters
They are supposed to be excellent. When I first started tinkering about with 405 line, they were on the market - by the time I had decided I could justify the expense and wanted one, they weren't He who hesitates is lost

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 19th Nov 2006 at 9:41 pm. Reason: General eBay comments deleted
Old 19th Nov 2006, 9:43 pm   #12
davegostelow
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm not going to rush in to buying a converter yet, not until I have got my TV into a working state, or nearly working anyway.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 19th Nov 2006 at 9:45 pm. Reason: General eBay comments deleted
Old 19th Nov 2006, 9:47 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Please see the eBay thread here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8862 I have just edited two posts here that didn't comply.

Thanks.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread