UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2006, 7:40 pm   #1
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Aurora RF Connector getting Warm.

Is it normal for the RF output connector on the Aurora to get warm in operation. I have checked the supply voltage and input on the TV for any unwanted Vdc or short and this is all OK.

This is probably normal but I wanted to make sure.

Regards Chris.
Old 19th Oct 2006, 7:42 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aurora RF Connector getting Warm.

The whole converter does get slightly warm, especially if the DC power supply is over 9V. It will run on as little as 7V and stay cooler too. Over 12V is not recommended.

At higher input voltages most of the heat is dissipated in the regulator that makes 5V for the whole converter. There are other regulators that take 5V and produce the lower voltages needed by parts of the circuit. All the regulators are linear because the total amount of power doesn't justify more complex and expensive switchmode designs.
Old 19th Oct 2006, 9:36 pm   #3
molochkartovski
Tetrode

I've had mine on all day and yes you're right the RF connector is warm. It doesn't seem to be any warmer than the rest of it though. I guess it must be normal.

Richard
Old 20th Oct 2006, 12:05 am   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

The metal RF connector will feel slightly warm. This is normal. The main power regulator is right next to it on the circuit board, so depending on what voltage your putting into the unit, some of the heat will dissipate out the connector. As Jeff mentioned, with 7VDC in, there is almost no residual heat, with 12VDC there is about 1 watt of lost energy to dissipate.

Darryl
Closed Thread