UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2006, 11:45 am   #1
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Aurora setup for the first time.

I have just got my Aurora converter and wanted some advice before I use it for the first time. My television is a Bush TV53 and is described as a 13 channel set. How do I choose which channel to operate the Aurora on. It would be helpful if someone could asvise typical dip switch settings.

Is there any way to protect the Aurora from damage in the event of a fault occurring on the receiver. I assume that "they dont like it up em"

I was also going to buy a very cheap £19 DVD player as a video source, can I assume that this will be ok and nothing special is required.

Regards Christian

PS: Got very good service from Darryl who is a pleasure to deal with. The Aurora only took ten days to arrive.

Last edited by ChristianFletcher; 7th Oct 2006 at 12:04 pm.
Old 7th Oct 2006, 1:52 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Aurora setup for the first time.

well from a non tecky person i advise to turn ur tv selector 13 channel switch to no 1 ,the aurora is set on channel 1 then it should produce test card c on screen , anyway if its connected and set is working just switch through the channel selecter till test card appears , there is fine tuning as well i expect prob on outer knob of tuner the selecter set into it so to speak.
the dvd should work fine , old vcr etc in which case the tuner will pick up modern tv too
Old 7th Oct 2006, 2:46 pm   #3
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Christian,
CHipp1968 is correct. I set the units to channel 1 in final test, so you can start with your television set to this. The DIP switch settings are shown on the bottom label and in the user manual if you do decide to change the channel or other settings.

The DVD player should be fine as is any PAL source.

As for protection, I'll let others provide feedback, but the biggest thing would be to not connect the converter to a hot chassis television without an isolation transformer in the RF output. The unit is not inherently referenced to earth ground unless the mains adapter your using grounds the negative power lead, but the video source you connect to may be. It's always best to isolate "hot" equipment from the rest.

Darryl
Old 7th Oct 2006, 2:54 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Christian,

you'll probably get better results on the lower channels, as the set will have more gain. I've found that you sometimes need to change channel if there is some strong local interference (can't use channel 3 at work for some reason).

Jim.
Old 8th Oct 2006, 8:07 pm   #5
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. I have sound only for the moment.

Thanks regards Christian.