UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2018, 8:45 pm   #1
GW4FRX
Pentode

Default BT Caller Display 2000 backlight

I have one of these in the office which is still working well although the backlight failed a while ago. This doesn't really matter but it would be nice to fix it.
Does anyone happen to know what technology the backlight used and whether this particular type of caller display is repairable? There nothing whatsoever about it on the internet, alas.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 9:23 pm   #2
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: BT Caller Display 2000 backlight

No idea about the backlight type (although the manual does mention that it may buzz - so probably not LED) but might be worth checking the power adaptor output volts on load in case too low?
Old 30th Nov 2018, 1:38 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

If it makes a high-pitched buzzing noise, it's probably an electroluminescent (EL) backlight. These are usually a blue-green colour. An inverter provides high voltage to the EL panel, making it glow.

EL panels can work for thousands of hours, gradually losing brightness. If the backlight failed suddenly, I suspect the inverter or its power supply has failed. Check the external mains adaptor first: the instruction manual mentions that the backlight will not work on battery power.

You might be able to open up your caller display, find the fault and repair it, but I'm pretty sure that no service information or original parts will be available. These things were not designed to be repaired.

If you are really determined, there are companies that supply electroluminescent panels and the inverters or drivers that make them work, enabling you to repair a faulty EL backlight even when original parts are no longer available. For example https://elpanelandtape.co.uk/el-backlights/

Alternatively you could light the display with LEDs instead. Bear in mind that modifying the caller display unit could void its BT approval.

Last edited by hamid_1; 30th Nov 2018 at 1:43 am.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 9:25 pm   #4
GW4FRX
Pentode

Many thanks for the replies. The adaptor is still working OK as it happens but something's clearly failed inside the device and it looks like a fairly major job to fix it (there's no obvious way to get inside it).

I think on balance I'll let sleeping dogs lie ;-)
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 11:46 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

I have the same problem with one of my Caller Display 2000's but never got around to looking at it.

They seem to fetch £50+ on eBay - the only one that I know of where you read it across right the room?

Ian
Old 4th Dec 2018, 6:51 pm   #6
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
the only one that I know of where you read it across right the room?
Yes indeed, even without the backlight
Closed Thread