UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2022, 6:18 pm   #21
jez_145
Pentode

Default Re: Radio User Magazine is no more.

I had a look at the December issue of PW in WH Smiths this morning (the one with the review of a Kanga Kits Morse trainer kit).

To me it looked pretty much as normal. Yes. it was in colour, the inner paper was slightly less glossy than it has been in the past but there's no way I would describe it as newsprint.

Jerry
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 6:47 pm   #22
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Agreed

Its more matt than glossy but still full colour and not news print

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez_145 View Post
I had a look at the December issue of PW in WH Smiths this morning (the one with the review of a Kanga Kits Morse trainer kit).

To me it looked pretty much as normal. Yes. it was in colour, the inner paper was slightly less glossy than it has been in the past but there's no way I would describe it as newsprint.

Jerry
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 7:23 pm   #23
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

I started with Practical Electronics when I was 12 (they had a beginners series - I begged my folks to spring for the whole of that series) was interesting enough that it led to a degree and career in electronics (initially radar, later control systems).

Agree with David's observations, my main paper reading mag now is RadCom, which still manages to have some interesting articles, such as their EMC section as well as some construction on occasion.
Speaking of which, I've found this quite useful recently https://www.g1exk.com/gm3sek-mains-filter
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 9:35 pm   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez_145 View Post

Jerry
I don't know whether the issue I looked at was November, but it was definitely not glossy.

I'll see if I can find it this month. It rarely seems to put in an appearance in our WHS.

I don't want to wish it into an early grave - I subscribed to it for 25 years, until the ill-fated Robin 'Droitwich' frequency standard debacle, after which there was little constructional content and its editorial policy became exclusively ham radio. But with production costs of all magazines rising steeply, a high cover price and perhaps a dwindling circulation, I think it faces an uncertain future. It may of course pick up some circulation from readers of the now defunct 'Radio User'. I couldn't say - I've never looked at that magazine to see who it catered for.
Closed Thread