UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2021, 5:10 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Acos GP91-3sc

Hi all
i have four of these and 1 GP91-1sc .They all work but they all have the same fault [droopy flag syndrome ] that's what i call it .has anyone any tips on how to fix the problem without taking the cart apart [I usually put a small elastic band on to hold it up but its not a good fix .Also what's the difference between the 1sc and the 3sc ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210718_150921437[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	237907   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210718_150846631[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	237908  
Old 18th Jul 2021, 5:37 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Acos GP91-3sc

Wow! The Acos GP91//3sc is a (and by now very rare) HIGH-OUTPUT, stereo-compatible cartridge giving c.600mV and are worth their weight in gold. If fully working, these can sell for aound £40-00. The 1sc gives around 150mv. As long as the stylus is vertical, the "droopy" flag is just a nuisance. This might be fixed by using just a very small dab of Evostik or similar contact adhesive.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 6:19 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

I suspect someone has tried to remove the whole stylus assembly as with a BSR or Philips, say. Is the metal retaining clip rivited down? Post a pic if unsure.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 6:22 pm   #4
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Wow! The Acos GP91//3sc is a (and by now very rare) HIGH-OUTPUT, stereo-compatible cartridge giving c.600mV and are worth their weight in gold. If fully working, these can sell for aound £40-00. The 1sc gives around 150mv. As long as the stylus is vertical, the "droopy" flag is just a nuisance. This might be fixed by using just a very small dab of Evostik or similar contact adhesive.
Thanks for that Edward .As i said they all work very well just the problem with the flag .I have one fitted to my Bush Rp 50 .On that one i cut best part of the flag off leaving just enough to turn it over .bit drastic i know but it worked and back when i did it i didn't know any better
Old 18th Jul 2021, 8:08 pm   #5
Trevor
Octode

I used to sell these used loads of them and was very satisfied with the resulting sound !
I think they were about £3 each at the time early 70,s
I used them with a home made passive mixer going into a Selmer 100 watt valve Pa amplifier
Golden days
Old 18th Jul 2021, 8:17 pm   #6
BRASSBITS
Hexode

as Ben above says Is the metal retaining clip present?
its a torsion spring that holds the stylus by the flats at the end of the stylus many people remove it to change the stylus and cant get it back on
then end up with the droopy flag

Last edited by BRASSBITS; 18th Jul 2021 at 8:46 pm.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 9:09 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

I liked these cartridges. They were pretty tough and were used in the cheaper DJ consoles frequently. They were decent at the top end and would play discs some others wouldn't.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 10:39 pm   #8
Trevor
Octode

In the Place Hanley stoke on trent I used these with Thorens Td124 sme arms intil i uprated to Shure M3D ghis would have been 1968 -1970 not low end gear I will admit
Trev
Old 19th Jul 2021, 8:36 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Quote:
Thanks for that Edward .As i said they all work very well just the problem with the flag .I have one fitted to my Bush Rp 50 .On that one i cut best part of the flag off leaving just enough to turn it over .bit drastic i know but it worked and back when i did it i didn't know any better
Just to say that these are not a good match to the amplifier in a Bush RP50. Your Acos GP91/1sc would be better.
Old 20th Jul 2021, 2:00 pm   #10
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Quote:
Just to say that these are not a good match to the amplifier in a Bush RP50. Your Acos GP91/1sc would be better.
Yes i know Edward .the old Bush has been around for 52 years .Its not one of bushes best offerings in fact as far as Bushes record players go it must be the worst but it i was delighted with it back in 1968 .the Acos 93 was fitted around 1972 when the original BSR packed up and i have to say the sound quality is vastly improved although the volume can only be turned up to around number 4 before the sound distorts as the amp is overdriven where as before [with the old cart fitted] distortion occurred at number 7 .I will try the 91 and see how it sounds
Old 20th Jul 2021, 2:08 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
In the Place Hanley stoke on trent I used these with Thorens Td124 sme arms intil i uprated to Shure M3D ghis would have been 1968 -1970 not low end gear I will admit
I've still got my membership card from back thenMoses & Joshua Dillard

Lawrence.
Closed Thread