UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2012, 4:32 pm   #1
Brigham
Octode

Default Earliest BBC2 Sets?

I suppose that, as far as GB broadcasting is concerned, 625 UHF is now an obsolete format.

Must be time to add a 'BBC2 set' to my collection.

But what was the earliest 625-capable commercially-available receiver? A very high-spec. one like Dynatron, or KB, I imagine. Or were all the early ones convertible types?
Old 10th Oct 2012, 5:09 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Earliest BBC2 Sets?

Hi
This can be a bit confusing as there were many sets that were called "BBC2 ready" from the early Sixties. In most cases there was no UHF tuner fitted, though the chassis may have been dual standard. In some cases, Bush for example, fitting the missing tuner and carrying out some fairly simple modifications would give you UHF reception. In other cases half a chassis was required!
The analogy with today's HD ready sets is interesting.
As to the earliest fully operational one I'd plump for the Bush TV125, though there were certainly others. One thing common to all is that the valve UHF tuners of the period certainly left a lot to be desired gain-wise.
Glyn
Old 10th Oct 2012, 5:53 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Some time ago (possibly around the time of the 405-line shutdown) I remember a radio programme where someone was talking of "BBC2-only" TV sets, and asking if anybody still had one? Duuuh, no! because of course eventually, BBC1 and ITV1 went 625-line and moved onto the UHF band; so even a single-standard UHF set would eventually be able to receive all three channels (four from 2 November 1982, of course).
Old 10th Oct 2012, 10:50 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The first fully functional dual standard receiver complete with UHF tuner was the 1961 Pye 700DU. The Ekco dated from 1962. Dynatron models were rebadged Ekco receivers.
John.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 1:34 am   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Two interesting variants of the V700D were the 17" CRT Pye models 1 and 2.
I believe the sets were called the "Pioneer".
One set was housed in a plastic cabinet (model 1?) and the other had a wooden cabinet.
Both are very rare sets.

DFWB.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 9:50 am   #6

As far as I know UHF was planned for four channels from the start, it would seem sensible that even the very first tuners had at least four buttons (or where variable).

Old 11th Oct 2012, 12:24 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think the first one I saw was the Bush TV125 as we were Bush agents, the timebase switches could be a pain but I think that was probably common to most sets.

Peter
Old 11th Oct 2012, 12:34 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The Bush TV125 was well ahead of its time by using push-button tuners - as you say, with four buttons for UHF. I wonder how many saw the introduction of Channel Four - quite a few, I'd imagine.
Amazing now to imagine how people managed to cope with rotary tuners - mind you, I imagine the UHF one was left on the BBC2 position and the VHF clunker used for the other two channels. Still, the Baird 700 colour was quite a fearsome beast to tune in!
Glyn
Old 11th Oct 2012, 1:53 pm   #9

The little Sony Trinitrons only had a tuning knob, seemed to work OK.

Old 11th Oct 2012, 2:46 pm   #10
neil29
Heptode

Can anyone tell me what model this set is and when it was released?. as there are no obvious numbers on it. thanks,Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16h,!)0E9s37IehtBQV,5oW4g!~~60_12.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	71364  
Old 11th Oct 2012, 3:23 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Here is a brochure for the Baird 700 mentioned above. It is not the first BBC2 set, but is one of the first colour ones, note the comments on the last page.
I think 625/BBC2 was introduced primarily to usher in the colour era, which had been planned for many years.

If anyone has a 700 on display and would like the original (it has a crease down the middle) let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Baird 700.pdf (901.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 11th Oct 2012, 3:32 pm   #12
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Neil,
I think that your set is a rental version of the Pye model 11.
Here in the North-East there was a firm called Gibbards which rented out sets similar to yours.
The Pye model 11 was introduced late 1962 to replace the V700D and models 1 and 2. Early versions of the 11 did not have line timebase stabilising, width control was simply achieved by adjusting a tapped resistor in the anode feed to the PY800 boost diode. '63 on models had line TB stabilising. Ekco branded versions of the model 11 appeared in the market place late 1963.

DFWB.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 5:53 pm   #13
MALC SCOTT
Octode

My parents bought an Ekco T418 new in 1963. It had just a blanking plate fitted where the 4 push button UHF tuner should have been fitted. It used the 11u chassis, Malc.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 6:03 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Neil,
This receiver is the Invicta 7069 produced for Gibbard TV Rentals. It was marketed as 'The Gay Cavalier' in 1964/5. It employs the Pye 11U dual standard chassis. John.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 7:05 pm   #15
neil29
Heptode

Thanks again David and John for your help . my one also has a blanking plate on it,no uhf tuner to be seen . cheers,Neil.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 7:18 pm   #16
petertheorgan
Hexode

Thats interesting , I assume that the hole is not cut for the UHF tuner spindle .
Old 11th Oct 2012, 7:32 pm   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Peter, the UHF tuner spindle replaces the blanking plate and dummy spindle. The knob is the genuine thing and fits onto the tuner spindle. It is fully protected by a slot and peg that is sprung loaded thus preventing an accident as the knob cannot be removed unless you know how to do it. A lot of these receivers were on wired relay and did not require the UHF tuner to receive BBC2. John.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 8:42 pm   #18
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The control knobs are a legacy from the Ekco takeover in 1962. Also, the tuner unit employed in many Pye 11 type sets is an Ekco part. The type number SA8146 seems to come to mind. The Mazda valves used in the tuner are 30L17 and 30C17, high performance frame grid valves.

DFWB.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 9:02 pm   #19
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
My parents bought an Ekco T418 new in 1963. It had just a blanking plate fitted where the 4 push button UHF tuner should have been fitted. It used the 11u chassis, Malc.
There was a 23" Ekco TV set model T433 which had two four button tuner units. The VHF tuner was made by Plessey. The 405/625 switch was positioned between the tuners. It was a really impressive looking set.

DFWB.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 9:19 pm   #20
neil29
Heptode

Might this Ekco TC435 look anything like the set you've mentioned David?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTiHBQBy4BNIYw~~60_58.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	71385  
Closed Thread