UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2018, 7:55 am   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Buying from the internet.

I saw the thread about the sets on Craig's list. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to ask this before the thread was closed. What harm leaving the thread to run was doing I don't know but there we are..
Anyway what puzzles me is that if it is a scam (and I agree that it looks like one) is how it would work because surely on items like this you would be expected to collect? And potential buyers would want to view what they were buying ?
I can't see anyone paying in advance and then expecting the item posted?
Like buying a car that was advertised you would go have a look at it, pay cash and take it away, so if the seller only has a picture how does the scam work? Am I missing something?
I would have thought the scammer would have had more luck trying with something small valuable and postable?
Rich.
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:06 am   #2
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Buying from the internet.

Several ways, the transaction is unlikely to go down as you would expect. Either they will arrange for you to collect it and have you robbed on route or at the address, or suddenly plans will change they might say they’re afraid of forged money and require a transfer. It will be set up very well to encourage trust in the seller before you’re done over. It’s the same with other sought after items like guitars, if the pictures are generic ones and not of the item I wouldn’t trust it. There’s no protection on Craig’s list to my knowledge, if it was eBay or something else reputable then both parties are protected in that scenario. I haven’t seen the ad or the money involved but wonder why sell such a niche item on Craigslist anyway rather than at the very least eBay

It’s hard to predict the exact delivery method of the scammer, but generally if too good to be true it is
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:31 am   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
.... if it was eBay or something else reputable then both parties are protected in that scenario...
Actually, that's not necessarily the case either - for any item you might buy / win on eBay, and choose to collect from the seller, the usual eBay protections don't always apply:

As the seller, if you accept a PayPal payment say, and the buyer collects in person, you have no proof of delivery to the buyer, and can be scammed for non-delivery - and will lose the money & the item.

As the buyer, if you choose to collect from the seller, you will often be asked to pay cash, and not PayPal, so we're back to the same CL scenario, and "if it looks too good...."
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:39 am   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Good point, in those examples there are problems. But also feedback can be an indicator of a decent seller.

The safest for the buyer is any method using PayPal and if required then postage. Maybe not for pre war TVs however!
Old 23rd May 2018, 9:16 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

It may not have been a scam. A couple of times I’ve got some too good to be true stuff on gumtree and it wasn’t a scam but someone who was moving house or doing a house clearance. Marconi 2019A? £5 working! Philips PM3217? £10 working. Etc etc. May have just been someone who googled images of what they were selling instead of use a camera.

Tricks are always to meet at their end at a defined address. Never take any more cash with you than the item is worth. Confirm name and phone number. Never meet in public or at your place. And if you’re not sure, err on the side of caution and skip it.

I’ve met some really nice people and some interesting characters including a guy who gave me a large bag of carrots too.

I’ve never had a problem with PayPal. The only risk there is if you send money via friends/family etc. I use my credit card to fund it as well as that gives you some secondary come back. Not from the bank but PayPal know a CC transaction can be clawed back easily and they will be on a loss if they don’t deal with it (they have transaction risk profiling)
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:03 am   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If your dubious about the origin of the picture of the expensive item on sale, you can ask the seller to send you another with today's newspaper in front of it..
...obviously you will then have to use your own instinct to judge if that has also been doctored or not LOL but generally if it happens quickly then it's kosher.

Sometimes- (because you maybe competing with others for a rare item) you just have to go with your instinct,take a chance, send the money (obviously use an appropriate method like Paypal)and hope they will wrap it and send it to you. Probably 95% of people are honest, but throwing another spanner in the works there is -the fruitcake- or perhaps a kinder term is-the eccentric,they maybe honest and they want to sell you something and they want you to have it..well part of their mind does

Old 23rd May 2018, 10:05 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

I am a fruitcake so I get on with them fine
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:18 am   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Its mostly down to common sense really, as the saying goes 'if it looks to good to be true it probably is' but not always, if its an expensive item no way would I pay for it without seeing it or getting someone else I trust to.

But there are exceptions, I saw a lithium powered drill, brand new at probably less than the cost of the battery, no one bid on it, it came back on again so I did and got it for the starting price and its brilliant.

Peter
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:31 am   #9
yesnaby
Octode

I found a top of the range VCR worth more than £100 on Gumtree advertised for £5. It looked brand new so I felt a bit sheepish but the owner would not accept any more for it! It's sitting under my TV now.
Old 23rd May 2018, 1:04 pm   #10
Grubhead
Heptode

A current scam on Amazon of all places is somebody offering new Hi-fi or TV's that are used, but new. They are supposed to be shop display models. I saw one with five of the same thing on offer. Which seems unlikely!
However the seller asks you to e-mail before purchase. If you buy it by the normal method of adding to basket on Amazon, the seller cancels it. When you ask why. The seller sends you an e-mail asking for personal questions, such as your phone number.
I contacted Amazon and got a £10 gift token for the cancellation of the item. They are investigating that seller. But if you see one on Amazon asking you to e-mail before purchase. Do not go there!
Old 23rd May 2018, 1:18 pm   #11
Tractionist
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I am a fruitcake so I get on with them fine
I thought your vice was carrot cake!
Old 23rd May 2018, 1:30 pm   #12
MrBungle
Dekatron

Don't even get me started on Amazon. Nothing but trouble from them recently. Far worse buying from them than some random guy with a van.
Old 23rd May 2018, 1:38 pm   #13
pastyboy
Hexode

hi chaps was there any follow up on the 10k pre war set advertised on a four letter auction site recently, the one that had stock and book photo's ? I thought it odd the seller had no vat number yet said vat would be added and that the sellers location was High Wycombe and then said the set was in Scotland ! I apologise if its covered somewhere else.

Stu
Old 23rd May 2018, 3:36 pm   #14
paulsherwin

This thread is getting very close to a violation of the forum eBay rules, so the mods have decided to end discussion before things deteriorate further.
Closed Thread