UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2018, 6:14 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default JVC HR-S5955EK video cassette recorder

Hi folks

Going through my boxes of 'stuff', I've come across the VCR in the title. It's in an original carton (although the serial numbers don't match.) When I powered it up and switched it ON the display goes from four dashes to three dashes and a '1'. When I opened the case it was apparent that the deck was in the 'loaded' condition while the cassette loading mechanism was in the ejected position with no cassette present.

I removed the cassette loading mechanism from the deck and then removed the deck from the PCB. I used a 9V battery to power the loading motor to drive the mechanism to the fully unloaded position. I checked the mode switch position and put it all back together.

The upshot is that the symptom is exactly the same. When I power the machine up there is no 'shuffling' of the mechanism of any kind and when trying to insert a cassette it accepts it but there is no power assistance of any kind. The display again briefly goes to - - - 1 so it 'sees' the cassette insertion but doesn't stay on or attempt to load. Anything common on these that causes this symptom? My gut feeling is that a supply is missing. Unfortunately I have no manual for this machine.

Tim
Old 10th May 2018, 4:49 pm   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: JVC HR-S5955EK video cassette recorder

I always found that the mode switch itself was the cause of many VCR faults.
If the electronics doesn't know which position the mechanism is in, then it will not offer any power to do things.
Old 10th May 2018, 8:39 pm   #3
vhs doctor
Pentode

You can download the service manual from here

https://elektrotanya.com/jvc_hr-s-59.../download.html
Old 11th May 2018, 1:17 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Not sure about this specific machine, but JVC were notorious for putting in those CP fuses - the ones that look like a two-legged transistor - in many supply lines and not mentioning them in the manual. In case you haven't come across them, they are coded N-X or F-X with the value being 40X mA, F being the quick blow version. They all seem to fail at the drop of a hat - or a screwdriver.
Old 12th May 2018, 2:11 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Glyn is probably right. I have two early 80s JVC machines, an HR-D110 and a D120 and both of them blew up the CP fuse for the loading motor. Panasonic also used them in their switching power supplies in some late 80s NTSC machines to prevent the power supply from overvolting the machine.

Regards,

Fivos
Old 12th May 2018, 6:32 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

Yes, I can recall making accidental screwdriver contact with the connectors along the top of the VFD in one such JVC machine. On the plus side I no longer had to use the 'Display Off' function!

I did find that pesky circuit protector in the end, but not after much head-scratching!
Old 12th May 2018, 8:18 pm   #7
flyingtech55
Octode

My gut feeling is that it's a CP somewhere. The machine doesn't 'shuffle' when powered up nor does it spin up the head even briefly. I know the history of the machine and it simply failed in use. It was replaced with a spare machine and the failed unit was put in the 'round tuit' pile. It's turn has now come! It's a case of either fix it or dump it. The manual doesn't seem to specify where the CPs actually are.

Tim(R)
Old 12th May 2018, 11:10 pm   #8
John123
Heptode

It looks like the manual has been split over three parts, so you'll be needing the Parts List and the Schematic.

To save time, have a look for anything that's marked as a fuse or safety critical component with a '!' symbol in the parts list (e.g. CPxxxx), and then locate it on the mainboard schematic.

The 12v line from the power supply to the drum motor will most likely have an in-line circuit protector, so if you have no vcc on the drum connector that may be all that's wrong. If the supply is also being shared by the loading and capstan motors it probably explains why nothing is moving.

Last edited by John123; 12th May 2018 at 11:18 pm.
Closed Thread