UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2020, 11:33 am   #1
MinoltaAndy
Diode

Default Dynatron Cavalcade donor turntable required.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and wondered if you could help me with a problem.
We have a rather nice Dynatron Cavalcade music centre, which looks lovely in our front room. The radio is used every day and up until a few months ago the turntable too.
The problem is the Goldring G101 installed in the Dynatron is showing its age and is starting to wow & flutter terribly along with the turnable speed playing fast. Now when played vibrato music and helium induced vocals are always the case. Unfortunately I can't listen to that.
What I'm planing on doing is to actually remove the G101 turntable section completely and install another record deck to the nearest dimensions possible in the existing turntable space. But that's the conundrum. The 101 is quite small with only a 39x29cm footprint, making the the hunt for a suitable deck difficult.
The new deck doesn't have to be a vintage model as I'd like to be able track a tonearm at a lower weight and therefore use a better cartridge.
If anyone has any ideas, I'll be most grateful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynatron.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	216916  
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 11:58 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Dynatron Cavalcade donor turntable required.

Why don't you just service the original deck? It probably just needs a clean and lube, and maybe some attention to any belts and idler wheels.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 12:32 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

This is what you need (when it's back in stock): https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=g101
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 2:07 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

You won't find a modern deck of comparable quality in that size, if at all. So that only leaves vintage ones, which will likely need the same amount of work as what you have here, if not more. Then there's the hassle of fitting/adapting.
I second Paul's advice to overhaul your Goldring 101.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 3:08 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I concur with everything said here. You might try to bodge in a Garrard SP25 or a BSR MP60 but they will be unlikely to fit, they will need work on them anyway as they will be 50 years old - and then there's the question of cartridge matching to the Dynatron. I don't think the OP has fully envisioned all of this. The Goldring 101 is a reasonably serviceable deck and there are many Members who could do this in Kent/London if the OP felt happy with the such an arrangement.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 5:11 pm   #6
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Agreed with thoughts of others.

These turntables do not have much torque, and the belt is obviously going to need replacement.
The other problem with this model is usually the bottom bearing, which will probably require dismantling & cleaning/re-greasing.
I've serviced several of these, and a bit of TLC will usually do the trick.

David.
Closed Thread