UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2023, 12:18 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Quad FM3 bulb holders

Just a very small success but it may be helpful to others.

I was given an FM3 by a friend. It needed minor work (new smoothing cap and cleaning the tuning cap contacts) after which it worked fine.

The tuning indicator lamps had blown and like many others found the silly spring bulb holders fell to pieces when I wrestled the old lamps out.

I found that I could extract the rivets which held them together. I then used half inch brass 10BA screws and nuts to reassemble them. Like everything else the new lamps were not as well finished as the existing ones. In particular the solder blob bottom contact was very small and only made intermittent contact with the screw head. I augmented this with a blob of new solder and this helped a lot.

A small success but others may find it useful to know that you don't have to replace the lamps with LED ones if the holders disintegrate.
Old 6th Oct 2023, 10:19 am   #2
60136 Alcazar
Pentode

Default Re: Quad FM3 bulb holders

I have also used the 'enhanced solder blob' technique on current production incandescent mains lamp bulbs, which frequently have a visible connection wire poking through a smear of solder instead of a proper contact!

Progress consists of doing what you've always done - just more expensively.
Old 6th Oct 2023, 10:48 am   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

The base on the original lamp looked so much better finished than the new ones. I wonder whether they will last another 50 years
Old 6th Oct 2023, 1:30 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Those spring lamp holders are ‘designed’ to stop the lamps from working loose. A real pain to remove the lamp but I found that if you try turning the spring in a clockwise direction, same as screwing a lamp in, whilst unscrewing the lamp anti-clockwise it should be easier. The motion of screwing in causes the spring to expand and make it easier to insert the lamp. Unscrewing causes the spring to tighten.
Old 6th Oct 2023, 4:24 pm   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

I did actually try that sort of thing but it didn't help. I think that the bulb screw was tarnished/slightly corroded to that it wouldn't turn easily. I managed the dial illumination one with no problem but the tuning indicator ones were a different matter.

Another case of using something way past its design life I suppose.
Old 6th Oct 2023, 7:21 pm   #6
radiomobile
Pentode

Many '60s car radios used the spring type bulbholders for LES bulbs, possibly the same type as the Quad FM3. After much cursing, and occasionally damaged fingers, we found the solution to remove the dud bulb. First remove the glass bulb by breaking it, taking care to avoid splinters etc. by using a piece of cloth and crushing it. Then apply some oil (it is after all a thread) then grasp the edge of the base with miniature pliers and proceed as in the previous post by "vidjoman".
Closed Thread