UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2006, 9:46 pm   #1
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Default How to clean Rexine on a Dansette

Hello all,

I have collected another new toy today, a Dansette Conquest Auto, overall the condition to the case is OK,(Green and Cream) it would have been better if the seller hadn't wiped it over with Jif or similar though.

A new stylus and a blast of hot air from the hairdryer to free the old grease up a bit has made it work again, and I must say it sounds good.

I intend to service the deck with the aid of the BSR UA-16 manual I've just found on Pauls service CD, is it OK to use Castrol Moly Grease to replace the old stuff ? but the main question to you good people is, what is the best method of cleaning the Rexine?

I did a search and read that some of it is paper backed, so will hot soapy water turn it into a pulp?, I have tried a small area with foam cleaner and a brush but I found there was some of the colour coming off when I wiped it down.

Any ideas, and thanks for your time.

Tony.
Old 24th May 2006, 9:48 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: How to clean Rexine on a Dansette

I would use a bit of Jif and warm water, applied with a nail brush and then wiped off with a damp sponge, followed by some aerosol furniture polish to help give it a bit of shine (and make it smell nice).

But DO try it on an inconspicuous area first

Nick.
Old 18th Jun 2006, 6:13 pm   #3
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice Nick,

Finally got around to sorting this out today, the Jif or Cif as it's now known has worked a treat, the Green has come up great but the Beige is still slightly dirty but overall it works well and looks good, a new stylus and a .01 uF the only one I could find on the PCB, (allthough the cct I have has shows 2) and several squirts of switch cleaner has restored it to more than acceptable.

I even rubbed down and repainted the hinges and handle end covers, antique Gold seems to look OK, the one thing I could do with is a scan of the Black paper "washers" that are behind the front knobs if anyone has a scan I would be gratefull.

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 25th Jun 2006, 4:50 pm   #4
Lapinbleu
Retired Dormant Member

I have always found toothpaste to be a splendid cleaner for Rexine, and many other things as well -

- It's cheap, easily available...
- Contains a mild abrasive, less agressive than Jif, and a non-foaming surfactant...
- Generally smells nice and minty...

And the tool par excellence for applying it is a toothbrush. We have also used this for many years for cleaning the convoluted brass pressings around the dials of (French) long-case clocks. It leaves a nice, not-too-glossy finish.
Old 10th Aug 2006, 10:00 pm   #5
deekay
Retired Dormant Member

I can probably supply a scan I made of the black labels for the Dansette. Let me know if you are still looking. Deekay
Old 10th Aug 2006, 10:12 pm   #6
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Yes please Deekay,

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:26 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tony
The problem with moly grease is the mess it makes. I use "normal" car grease, like, say Castrol LM. Of course, only some things should be greased on a BSR (or any) deck - any sintered bronze bearings should be oiled, and things like the velocity trip should have no lubricant at all.

Rexine - if all else fails, and it is a plain colour, there are PVC paints available from car restoration companies.
Old 11th Aug 2006, 5:15 pm   #8
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Mike,

Thanks for the info,

Deekay,

I sent a PM, if you didn't get it, my mail address is in my profile.

Thanks both.

Tony
Old 25th Jun 2007, 1:48 pm   #9
eddie1983
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay View Post
I can probably supply a scan I made of the black labels for the Dansette. Let me know if you are still looking. Deekay
Deekay,

I wonder whether you would be so kind as to supply me with the scan of the dansette black circular labels that sit behind the control knobs (off-vol-on/bass/treble) so I can print/recreate myself or if you know of where I can buy reproduction or original that would be great.

Thanks,

Ed.
Old 26th Jun 2007, 9:48 am   #10
Station X

deekay hasn't logged in here since before Christmas last year. Try sending him a PM, which he'll receive email notification of.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jun 2007, 12:26 pm   #11
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Ed,

I still have the scans, if you send your mail address I'll forward them.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 4th Dec 2007, 5:33 pm   #12
rightrack
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsby27 View Post
Yes please Deekay,

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
Tony
Hi.

Do you still have scans of the black dansette washers. I have tried to do them numerous times without success. I have many dansettes but these washers have always spoilt the appearance. Tried to steam some good ones off but ruined them. Thanks in advance if you could send them to me.

Julie.

www.dansettes.co.uk

Last edited by Station X; 4th Dec 2007 at 6:41 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules.
Closed Thread