UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:16 am   #21
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Rust question

Was that called Loctite Rust Remedy I wonder?
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:31 am   #22
John10b
Nonode

Just did a quick check on google and it could be Hammerite Kurust.
John
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:34 am   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

There loads of different makes, all available on the shelves at Halfords. It was made out to be a wonder product to cure rust on cars.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 3:24 pm   #24
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

For chassis with a bit of rust, and for car parts, tools, bicycles, watch elements etc. I recommend common white vinegar. It's an excellent and cheap de-ruster. It can bring back really unsightly things to clean metal. For more delicate items, strong tea works well. They both chemically deal with the rust and aren't so aggressive that they affect other components or elements. Just wash off or neutralise with a bicarbonate of soda solution afterwards. It sounds like you don't need to do this as it's minor cosmetic rust, and as others have said it won't spread in its current environment.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 6:38 pm   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Curerust I think John. It works very well but may be difficult to clean off before painting in a radio situation.
You get a similar 'migration' effect when batteries are left for years inside valve battery portables. The fumes rot the valve holders and output transformers also causing rust patches on the chassis.
For mild rust I use a small brass brush to remove and in the case of transformer laminations, then give them a coat of satin black. Not too over the top and they look convincing. John.
PS Clashed.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:41 pm   #26
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Uncle Bulgaria's mention of using white vinegar or strong tea sounds a good safe way to treat rust. I'll certainly give those methods a try.
I remember being told many years ago that cola drink can be used as it contains a small amount of phosphoric acid. I can't say that I had much success though and it appears that not all makes of cola contain it. Maybe it has been phased out due to health concerns.

Regards,
Symon
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:24 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Citric acid and phosphoric acid can both be used in dealing with rust, but each does something different.

Citric reacts in a way that helps to remove rust by getting it to dissolve or at least go into suspension. Phosphoric reacts to convert the existing rust in to layer of iron phosphate, which then impedes further rusting, especially if followed up with a good corrosion-resisting paint.

I'm rather dubious about some of the more modern 'rust converters', so while I'm happy with Jenolite original products (based on phosphoric acid), I've tried there more modern ones and was disappointed.

B
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:24 pm   #28
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

The cola thing does work, but personally I've found it much less effective than the vinegar or tea, and it leaves a very sticky mess behind if it's not religiously washed off afterwards!
Old 17th Sep 2020, 1:24 pm   #29
wd40addict
Octode

I found Loctite Rust Remedy great back in the 90s, however I tried it again recently and results were nothing like as good. Suspect it's been reformulated..
Old 21st Sep 2020, 12:01 pm   #30
PJL
Dekatron

I would not apply anything with acid to a chassis unless it is completely stripped down and the acid can be washed off properly and neutralised with a weak detergent. Acid will also remove any remaining plating.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 5:11 pm   #31
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I would not apply anything with acid to a chassis unless it is completely stripped down and the acid can be washed off properly and neutralised with a weak detergent. Acid will also remove any remaining plating.
Yes, perhaps with the limited exception of what can be achieved with a drop of citric on a Q-tip.

B