UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2015, 8:21 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Painting speaker grilles

Hello all

I have a batch of Roberts radios - Ramblers and similar. Some of the grilles need touching up or more extensive painting. None are so bad that it would be quicker or more effective to run them down first - the best have very minor spots that I can retouch with a small brush and the worst have patches where the paint loss is in areas no bigger than a 10p.

I have some black satin spray paint and the right width masking tape, but I was wondering if I needed to prime the exposed metal I am repainting. I'm hoping that the answer to this is no, but I would sooner find out now rather than when the nice new paint fails to stick.

Has anyone any experience of this kind of repair?

Martin
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 9:34 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Painting speaker grilles

Hello Martin,
I wouldn't bother to prime the areas, just make sure its clean and put a couple of light coats on after you have masked it.I did re-spray the lines on a Roberts once and it came out quite well, I just wiped the area over with methylated spirit or similar first.
You can get masking tape with a finer edge meant for these sort of small jobs if you find the edge of the area you have sprayed isn't sharp enough.
I have also seen these grilles just touched up with one of those black marker pens and a ruler and it has come out quite well.
Steve.
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 12:04 am   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Steve. I will give it a go now I have some guidance. I had visions of a tiny touch up becoming a bit of a Father Ted job (the episode where he tries to knock a tiny dent out of a borrowed car)...

By the way, the Ekco is also 'on the bench' as we speak.
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 9:22 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdwAkWvWMw
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 9:32 am   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

I'm sure I won't get it absolutely right...
Closed Thread