UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2015, 7:52 pm   #1
Vintagebox
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tidy up overspray

Hi,
I'm currently restoring a Marconi 1950's valve radio made of Bakelite.
I've stripped paint off, sprayed primer all over and sprayed the front of the cabinet cream. Looked really good.

I then sprayed the rear of the cabinet red. Used masking tape, but some of the red seeped under the tape and I have red paint smudges on my cream paint.

Any suggestions on how to remove or cover up?
It had also left an unclean edge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150412_205434.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	106971   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150412_205441.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	106972  
Old 13th Apr 2015, 8:44 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Tidy up overspray

Firstly, most solvents that are used to remove paint, in your case the red, will also affect the cream. What type of paint is it?
Old 13th Apr 2015, 8:47 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

A bottle of T-Cut and plenty of patience will take care of that. Low-Tack masking tape on the red will help protect it from the rubbing but use only a small amount of T-Cut on the rag at a time.
Old 13th Apr 2015, 9:24 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's probably easier to mask the red part than the cream. With that in mind, if the T-Cut treatment isn't a complete success, I'd mask the red and apply some more cream paint to finish the job.

It will look very smart when it's done. Do let us have some pictures of the finished set.

Nick.
Old 13th Apr 2015, 9:35 pm   #5
Vintagebox
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
It was halfords car spray paint.
I will give the t-cut a go.
Annoyingly I used insulation tape on one side then ran out and used 'performance' making tape. The side where I used insulation tape is perfect.
Old 13th Apr 2015, 10:39 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I would be inclined to leave it a month or two then touch the overspray bits with a fine tipped paint brush. spray a bit of the paint into the cap first to dip brush into. Do it to soon and the new paint may merge into the old and make a mess. I may add, I would be very wary of trying to remove any paint before they have had time to cure, not just dry. Time is your friend where two new colours merge.

John.
Old 14th Apr 2015, 8:16 pm   #7
Vintagebox
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again, someone at work suggested I used a Dremel to take it off. Thought that might have been a bit aggressive, so tried some 1200 grit sand paper. Seems to have worked. Some places got taken back to the primer.

Now I will wait for my insulation tape to arrive. Then I will respray. Hopefully, covering it all up. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_195554.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	107009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_195608.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	107010  
Closed Thread