UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2015, 7:36 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Roberts Rambler tidy up

Hello all

I'm doing a clean up of a mark1 Roberts Rambled and wanted some help.

The set has one of those fantastic BBC stickers on one of the wooden sides - any ideas on how I can get this off? It won't be encouraged off and I am worries about scratching the wood.

I also have a mystery black stain on the tan/orange vinyl. Most of it has come off with a simple wipe, but there is a more stubborn element that isn't going anywhere. I'm worried about going too far and ending up with a stain surrounded by an over-cleaned halo... what chemicals or solvents would be safe to use?

What tool would I use to get the strap off? It is in perfect condition, but I'd like to take it off to clean it.

Lastly, any tips for repainting the grille? There's some areas that have worn which are too big for a minor touch up with some felt tip.

Thank you...

Martin

P.S., some of you will be amused to hear that despite taking care, I managed to put my finger through the speaker! It was only a light touch and is easily fixable, but a lesson learnt.
Old 8th Mar 2015, 8:30 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts Rambler tidy up

I swear by Flash kitchen spray, it is very good at getting stains and general grime off vinyl.
Those BBC stickers are horrible, I just use a fingernail and patience!

Mark
Old 8th Mar 2015, 10:04 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The BBC stickers come off with white spirit or WD40 on a rag plus lots of fingernail work.

Car spray paint is usually the best stuff if you need to repaint radios. You often find cans of discontinued colours being sold off. Poundland also sell a few colours - black, white, gold, copper, silver etc. They're small cans but OK for a radio.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 12:10 am   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Those BBC stickers are horrible, I just use a fingernail and patience!
Nature's multitool (fingernail) worked well on the stickers on the dial, but I think the one on the wood seems to be some sort of wood tattoo! I will persevere...
Old 9th Mar 2015, 12:13 am   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The BBC stickers come off with white spirit or WD40 on a rag plus lots of fingernail work.

Car spray paint is usually the best stuff if you need to repaint radios. You often find cans of discontinued colours being sold off. Poundland also sell a few colours - black, white, gold, copper, silver etc. They're small cans but OK for a radio.
Thanks Paul. I think that and some careful masking would work for the grille.

I'll try the white spirit or wd40 on the sticker.

I think my dad still has those stickers still in the leaflet. He certainly never stuck them on anything thankfully.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 10:05 am   #6
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Martin I had a grille that was in a very bad state and tried matt black spray. I found some very narrow masking tape used for automobile body trim. It was exactly the same width as the bright bars on the grille. It is a bit tricky to be certain the spray does not creep. I think if it is not very bad it would be easier to do it in sections masking the bright bits with sellotape and applying the paint with a fine brush.

Regarding the side panels if all else fails the wood is quite tolerant and can be sanded and re-finished with Danish Oil applied with fine wire wool. It might be glossier than the original but rubbing the oil into the surface with a cloth before it has dried has usually worked for me.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 11:08 am   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks for that. Do you think you can get that tape on ebay? (I can look can't I and stop being lazy!)
Old 9th Mar 2015, 1:00 pm   #8
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

It is a while ago but I think I searched Google and it might have pointed me to an ebay seller.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 1:11 pm   #9
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks John, I will take a look.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 2:27 pm   #10
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The tape i used for fine masking is 3Ms fine lining tape from car paint suppliers. it is very sharp edged, thin, and does not bleed paint underneath, but dearer than masking tape.
Made for coach lining on cars.
Other makers available etc.............

Stickers will respond to turps sub or white spirit, eventually. Let them soak a while. Or real stick label remover?

Can't remember how the handle comes off, maybe those 'orrible spring grab clips a la Bush ?
Old 9th Mar 2015, 3:01 pm   #11
Martin Bush
Octode

The clips are a circle with four little arms which grip the bolt tight. Like many things, I think they were designed to be used once and never come off.

They are, as you say, "'orrible'. I find this sort of thing quite a bit in old radios - lots of style and finesse, then a rough and scary little clip holding a knob or strap on.

It's a toss up as to whether I try to take the handle off or not, but I will have to if I want to do a proper clean of the wood panels and not end up with circular areas where I've worked round the strap ends.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 5:18 pm   #12
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I have taken the handle off one of these sets using crude force. I had the speaker out so could be robust. The little fingers can be forced away with a small screwdriver or pointed nose pliers. It is possible to restore them by slightly flattening the whole washer with pliers. I managed to refix the handleby pressing the washer thing back with a small box spanner.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 5:22 pm   #13
Martin Bush
Octode

I may give that a go on the lesser of my two radios. They do the job, but they are horrid little things.

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Mar 2015 at 6:52 pm. Reason: Pointless repetition of the entire previous post removed
Old 10th Mar 2015, 12:37 am   #14
whyperion
Hexode

Quote:
The clips are a circle with four little arms which grip the bolt tight
If they are and you require replacements the likes of Pearl Products at a local motor factors (if they still exist) should have something that fits.
Old 10th Mar 2015, 1:01 am   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/23123...f14=108&ff19=0
Old 10th Mar 2015, 12:00 pm   #16
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks to you both. I will see how I go and maybe order some once I can properly measure the bolt.
Closed Thread