UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2020, 5:51 pm   #1
MooseUK
Diode

Unhappy Tuning Scale Glass Replacement

During a recent recapping I managed to put a three pin plug through the tuning scale glass of my 1955 Baird 301. Don't ask me how. I have looked about and not surprisingly have not been able to find a replacement. I thought I would try this forum, but I would also welcome any advice on how best to stick the glass back together to achieve the best results. I have all the large pieces, but there will be some small gaps.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 9:11 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Tuning Scale Glass Replacement

I have used super glue, I think there is one especially for glass , lay the glass on a sheet of polythene on a flat surface assemble the parts dry first, when you have glued it and it has cured you can fill the gaps to above the surface of the glass , again when cured slice surplus off with a fine blade, of course a scan of one would be better ,you never know someone may oblige, good luck .Mick.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 6:38 pm   #3
MooseUK
Diode

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered some "Glass" superglue and will do as you suggest. I have also put the pieces together on my scanner bed and scanned them, but it is a long job to photoshop all the cracks out and recreate the damaged text - it would be much better to have a scan of an undamaged one as you say.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 7:11 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

I have had similar problems in the past. I have had the glass superglued together, then I got it professionally scanned, then sent that off to get a new dial made. Its not cheap but it will look like new.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Jul 2020, 10:13 am   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

Araldite also make a glass glue which I have used successfully
Old 18th Jul 2020, 10:16 pm   #6
Freya
Octode

Second vote for the clear glass Araldite, it works great for filling gaps if used in conjunction with sellotape on the non printed side. Stick with tape first then support so gaps flop open and apply glue, keep on flat surface like pane of glass, not advisable to remove excess glue that squeezes out on painted side. A razor blade removes any excess from sellotape side.
Closed Thread