UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2014, 11:48 pm   #121
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Calling Hacker Hunter owners!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that - it fits nicely with the pattern, and has been added to my records

Mark
Old 30th Jan 2014, 3:10 pm   #122
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Mark.

I took a look at my two Hacker Hunters and made a note of the details as follows:

RP38A 'VHF Hunter' Serial No. 46815

Grille: Extruded
Badge: Pressed aluminium
Case: Teak sides
Handle: One piece with vinyl cloth insert (missing cloth?)
Tuning scale print: White
Loudspeaker: Elac (gold)
Tone control knobs: Silver
Press buttons: Black with silver insert
DC input: Yes
Royal Warrant: No

The 2nd Hunter details as follows:

RP38A 'Hunter fm-am' Serial No. 65854

Grille: Extruded
Badge: Pressed aluminium
Case: Teak sides
Handle: 3-piece
Scale print: White
Loudspeaker: Elac (gold)
Tone control knobs: Black, chrome
Press buttons: Black with silver insert
DC input: Yes
Royal Warrant: Yes

I did have a very early Hunter in my collection and thought that the cabinet was different to most Hunters that I'd seen. It didn't have the teak side panels but was all black and wondered whether it was recovered. Looking at your useful table, I see that the early ones were indeed produced without the usual teak side panels.
I do remember having problems with the speaker due to a rubbing cone. Maybe the Fane or Goodmans speakers were more prone to this problem compared to the later ones made by Elac.

Regards
Symon.
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 11:03 am   #123
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Symon,

Belated thanks for this data - the second set fits exactly with expectations, but the earlier set is very interesting because it's the earliest set we have with the extruded grille. But it's the earliest by quite some margin...

Looking at the data, the column showing the first of the extruded grille sets shows a cluster of sets starting at the 49,000 point. Likewise, the previous column shows a cluster of late mesh-grille sets at 45,000. Your set - 46815 - does fit between the two, but it's interesting that it's "closer" to the latest mesh grille sets than the lump of earliest extruded grilles...

This data suggests that the grille change happened at ~46,000 rather than the ~49,000 that the data had previously suggested. If anyone else has a set with a serial number in that zone, I'd be interested to hear from you!

Of course, there is always the possibility that the chassis might've come from a fractionally earlier case - it's impossible to tell as no changes took place to the chassis at this point.

I think that I'm confident enough to add this set to the data, but in the first instance I'll put it in the table in bold and separated by a line from the 49,000 serial numbers - that should prompt me to look out for this in future.

Many thanks again,

Mark

EDIT: The handle for your earlier example should have left the factory "bare", so any insert it has now will be a retro-fit, or perhaps someone has taken a handle from an earlier set?
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 5:59 pm   #124
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Mark.

The handle is currently just bare aluminium but there appears to be signs of old adhesive in the insert area suggesting that there may have been a vinyl cloth type insert. As you point out, it may not be original handle and could have come from an earlier Hunter.

Going slightly OT, I have around ten other Hackers, these being Sovereign, Herald and Helmsman models and could supply similar details if required by PM or email.

Regards
Symon.
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 12:02 am   #125
willcam
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Mark,

Your survey has been a mine of useful information – thank you. It’s what persuaded me to track one down and I haven’t been disappointed – terrific sound quality!

I’ve joined to add my contribution:

Hacker Hunter RP38A

Grille Extruded
Hacker Badge Aluminium
Case style Black rexine with teak sides and bottom panel Teak sides
Handle One-piece aluminium
Scale Print White
Loudspeaker Elac (gold)
Tone control knobs Silver with black skirts,
Buttons Black with silver insert
DC Input Yes
Royal Warrant No
Serial number 51910

It also has a small sticker on the external aerial input side marked “M.B.75” I think.

Cheers,

Will
Old 17th Mar 2014, 5:51 pm   #126
redhunter NH
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark, Only a newby- 1st post - but here my Hunter details for the database:

Model:RP38A Hunter VHF
Serial No:28920
Handle : one piece
Grille: sheet punched alloy
Scales: all white
DC Input: No
Loudspeaker:Gold colour, no name. Printed mark 58HE/145 around centre back.
Tone Knobs: silver (small black plastic skirt at base)

Fully working order.
Mike
Old 19th Mar 2014, 9:31 pm   #127
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Will and Mike,

Apologies for the delay in replying, but many thanks for supplying the details

Will, your set fits in perfectly - everything is as expected.

Mike, your set isn't so straightforward. For that serial number, the loudspeaker should be painted, and the tuning scale should have some green print. It's presumably been the subject of a restoration, and has acquired parts from one or more other sets. Out of interest, did you get the serial number from a sticker on the bottom of the case, or from the underside of the chassis (near the volume control)?

Is there a separate chromed brass Hacker badge?

Either way, there's no need for concern - that loudspeaker is the right one (should say 58HE/146, but the print smudges easily). Enjoy it!

Thanks again to both of you,

Mark
Old 25th Mar 2014, 9:15 pm   #128
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Here's one of mine:

Model designation (RP38 or RP38A, "VHF Hunter" or "Hunter fm/am")
RP38A, Hunter VHF

Serial number

Handle type (single piece or the later 3-piece type)
Single Piece

Grille type (sheet aluminium or extruded aluminium)
Extruded Aluminium

Scale print (all white, or with some green)
All white

DC input socket (or not!)
Yes

Loudspeaker type and finish (most were "gold" Elac, earlier ones had a grey painted frame, earliest examples used a Goodmans loudspeaker)
Gold Elac

Tone control knob style (most were silver, the very later ones were black+chrome)
Silver fluted with black skirt. One has black line to indicate its position, the other doesn't.

Thanks,

Nick.
Old 25th Mar 2014, 9:44 pm   #129
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Nick,

That's great - thank you. No surprises with this one - all fits nicely

All the best,

Mark
Old 25th Mar 2014, 9:46 pm   #130
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks Mark, nice to know it's not a "bitsa".

Nick.
Old 30th Apr 2014, 11:57 pm   #131
Jamesdb
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark, My recently acquired Hunter looks untouched and even came with its original instructions

Model: RP38A
Serial Number: 23076
One piece handle, no inlay.
Sheet ally. grille.
Scale white and green.
No DC input.
All gold Elac.
Silver control knobs.

The speaker is the odd one out but the radio looks so original and not got at. I bought it from the original owner

Regards James
Old 1st May 2014, 8:35 pm   #132
gavinhall
Retired Dormant Member

This truly is a fascinating thread. I never knew there could be so many differences or that so many fine examples survive today. The PDF is excellent and I wonder if there are any other radios which have been through as many transformations which still survive.
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:23 pm   #133
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi James,

Thanks for the details of yours...

Regarding the loudspeaker, I just wonder if a (later) replacement loudspeaker was tried as a cure for your weak bass problem? Just a thought. With a really careful look, you might be able to spot clues - perhaps very small dents in the woodwork where those metal brackets were pressing against a slightly different spot previously?

Of course, it is possible that yours left the factory that way, but the earliest gold loudspeaker that I have on record is 33518. Though having said that, I do have 4 other sets in the "odd ones" section with a gold Elac, but there's every chance the loudspeakers are replacements. They do fail occasionally.

Anyway, thanks again, and enjoy the set

Mark
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:28 pm   #134
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhall View Post
This truly is a fascinating thread. I never knew there could be so many differences or that so many fine examples survive today. The PDF is excellent and I wonder if there are any other radios which have been through as many transformations which still survive.
Thanks, Gavin. Yes, they certainly hit the sweet spot with this set, and had the good sense to keep in production for a long time.
Old 30th Jun 2014, 1:38 pm   #135
Jonster
Heptode

I acquired another Hunter yesterday at a boot fair I was passing near Plymouth. I've been looking for a later example with the wooden end cheeks for years!

- Model designation (RP38 or RP38A, "VHF Hunter" or "Hunter fm/am") RP38A Hunter VHF
- Serial number 51298
- Handle type (single piece or the later 3-piece type) 3 piece
- Grille type (sheet aluminium or extruded aluminium) Extruded
- Scale print (all white, or with some green) All White
- DC input socket (or not!) Yes
- Loudspeaker type and finish (most were "gold" Elac, earlier ones had a grey painted frame, earliest examples used a Goodmans loudspeaker) No name on it but silvery coloured with 58HE/14c printed on magnet
- Tone control knob style (most were silver, the very later ones were black+chrome) Fluted silver with black skirts

Hope that information helps!
Old 1st Jul 2014, 4:20 pm   #136
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Jonster,

Thanks for the information. All good apart from the handle; it should have the single-piece one. Presumably it's been changed at some point in the past. Still, a minor detail in the scheme of things

Cheers,

Mark
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 2:55 pm   #137
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Slightly off topic here but as I have completed the repairs on my Hacker Hunter I would love to do a side by side test to compare it against another Hunter RP38A. Just to convince myself that all is well and it sounds as good as it can do. So if there is anyone in the Bristol area with such a set please give me a shout.
Old 9th Jul 2014, 10:01 pm   #138
newbie68
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

A friend of mine bought a Hacker Hunter recently from a charity shop. I offered to look into it's potential value but Ebay is very confusing with the what sellers are asking but the more I have looked into it the more intrigued I have become with the obvious interest in them such as here. The radio is what I presume a very early model, s/no. 14887 and although it is definitely a Hunter VHF RP38A it looks like the pictures of the Hunter RP38 with the name badge on the lower right hand front (hopefully a pic is attached) - i haven't seen a single picture of one like this that said it was an RP38A yet. Clearly the aerial has been replaced and it has been adapted to run on mains via a neat connection through the back panel (so re the question about dc input i'm not sure if the odd socket on the right is for power - so, i just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this RP38A disguised as an RP38
Gav

Model: RP38A
Serial Number: 14887
One piece handle, no inlay.
Grille - mesh (aluminium?) without a prang remarkably
Scale white and green.
DC input - not sure, there is a socket on the left (poss earphones) and an odd looking socket on the right
Loudspeaker - haven't had the nerve to open it yet and not even sure how..there are only 2 screws on the whole thing and they are on the bottom in the middle
Tone control knob style - fluted silver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hack.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	94971  
Old 10th Jul 2014, 2:03 pm   #139
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Gav,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, that set looks like an early RP38A. The details you give match with the expectations for that serial number. Later sets got a separate Hacker badge above the grille, and then the cabinet was redesigned to incorporate the extruded grille. Other details are in the PDF that I post periodically...

To answer some of your questions:

To get inside the set, the rear panel pulls off. It is help with clips towards the top of the set, so to open it, simply push the rear panel backwards from the rest of the set with your thumbs.

It sounds like it does not have a DC input, which is to be expected with this set. There are two sockets - one is for headphones, as you suspect, and the other is - on the right hand side of the set - is for an external aerial.

If it's had a mains conversion, then could you post a photo or two please? Some of these were not exactly top jobs, so there might be safety issues to investigate.

All the best,

Mark
Old 11th Jul 2014, 5:04 pm   #140
newbie68
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I shall endeavour to get the back off and get some snaps of the electrical wiring although the mains lead does have a transformer on it so I presume there will only be 18V (2x9V?) going into it. Will respost ASAP.

Cheers, Gav.
Closed Thread