UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2019, 9:09 pm   #1
Fergus8
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smiths clock

Hello ,
I have just joined this forum in the hope that someone will be able to help me .
I have a smiths selectric clock which has been working for 2 years since it was cleaned by a local clock repairer who wasn’t keen but did take a look .
Recently we had a power cut and now the clock seems to start but will not continue to run and the hands drop back and don’t seem to be engaging.
I can hear the motor humming so I think the motor is ok .
Any suggestions on how to repair or if this is serious and the final straw for my kitchen clock .
Many thanks for any suggestions received.
Royston
Old 14th Aug 2019, 9:03 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths clock

Hi Royston and welcome.

I think we need to know what sort of Smiths it is - pictures would be good. Is it a self-starting clock?

If it's humming it means that the stator winding is OK so there is something is stopping it actually running.

Not sure what you mean by the hands 'dropping back'.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 8:28 am   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Smiths clock

Is it possible the hands have simply come loose on the shafts? Have had this with a garden clock we have.
Closed Thread