UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 7:04 pm   #1
Cardiff John
Diode

Default Marconiphone 51 service sheet

I have just come across a Marconiphone 51 and would love to clean it up and put it back into service once again, however I cannot find any information on it other than Radiomuseum. The link they have for the service sheet wants me to download an app to my computer which I am hesitant to do. Does anyone have a service sheet they can send me?
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 7:24 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone 51 service sheet

You'll find the service data here: https://www.service-data.com/section.php/4383/1/51
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:11 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Some information not in the Circuit service sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB44B157-B0E5-4F89-B94F-9A363FE0BEC8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	180786   Click image for larger version

Name:	89A25B00-1E01-4177-9E1D-A73B51C8CEB5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	180787   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C116DB0-6BB4-4DA2-AF78-0C1146513D30.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	180788  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:14 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff John View Post
The link they have for the service sheet wants me to download an app to my computer which I am hesitant to do.
No, it doesn't.
You can't download from the Radiomuseum unless you are member with sufficient "points". You can get a once off initial lot of points by paying a membership fee, or join and get points by uploading photos, sale prices, schematics etc.
For a once off you can simply buy a schematic here. If you restore & collect then you'd easily have "free" Radiomuseum membership. The joining scheme is deliberately opaque to dissuade timewasters and parasites. Members can only download for personal use, not to re-upload. It's more orientated to build a complete virtual museum than host conversations. Many people might contribute photos and data without doing restorations. Some might collect and only clean, especially pre-1930s models, rather than destroy originality with modern parts. It's also multi-lingual and international.

Edit:
Unless the "app" is some new scheme for membership application. I've never heard of it.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:37 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Mike,
Downloads of circuits are available from radiomuseum without being a member if they in the thumb nails on the model page. If the circuit is not on Paul’s DVD I very often download them from RM if they are available, there are restrictions but no special software is required. It is emailed to you.

I couldn’t find a circuit for the Marconiphone 51 on the radio museum web site, just a photo so use the link in post 2.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:45 pm   #6
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. Watterson View Post
You can't download from the Radiomuseum unless you are member with sufficient "points". You can get a once off initial lot of points by paying a membership fee, or join and get points by uploading photos, sale prices, schematics etc.
That is incorrect. Non-members of RM can obtain a limited amount of info FOC.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_gues...plan_id=350008

Only click on the "request for a document" link. The other links are adverts.

However all RM has for the Marconiphone 51 is a picture.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:55 am   #7
ekjdm14
Banned

The above is what I was about to say, it's common with many sites offering "free" downloads to have adverts (whether knowingly or otherwise) from other sites that are less than scrupulous and purport to have the info you need if you click their link.

You get used to what looks genuine and what's a scam after a while, most of the iffy sites look similar and will even bring up results for "nonsense" sets if you wanted to test them (for example, I could search for a "Brush PBD75 service manual" and the dodgy sites will claim to have just the thing).

I'd agree though, the service data section of this site is the most reliable and safest place plus has manuals not available elsewhere. Speaking of which, order incoming from yours truly!
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:21 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Is this the 1927 set in the pictures? If so, it is unlikely you will find any service information. The circuit would have been very simple and easy to draw out but originality is an issue as many sets of that period were 'upgraded' in the early 30's. Post a few pictures here and maybe someone who has a 51 or at least is familiar with the Marconi sets from that series may be able to help.

I am working on a Type 41 but it is slightly earlier. There are pictures of a type 32 from 1927 on radiomuseum which would probably have shared many parts. Marconiphone sets of this era were typically made from parts marked as Marconiphone and had plug-in coil sets.

Last edited by PJL; 3rd Apr 2019 at 12:27 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:30 pm   #9
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Yes, pre 1931 - 1934 sets are mostly easy to trace with an ohm meter, especially for the coils. Unplug valves noting (photo too) positions. Label if there is no label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
You get used to what looks genuine and what's a scam after a while, most of the iffy sites look similar and will even bring up results for "nonsense" sets if you wanted to test them (for example, I could search for a "Brush PBD75 service manual" and the dodgy sites will claim to have just the thing).
Drive by malware, and there is always stuff that would fool people. I don't specifically block adverts. I used to use NoScript, now I use uMatrix. It blocks dodgy malicious and privacy stealing javascript and has "black list" of domains. Easy to whitelist the valid scripts the first time you use a regular site after installing.

FAR more effective than AV and unlike them will block most zero day exploits and scripts that scan your LAN or reprogram (poison) DNS etc on your laptop or router/modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
I'd agree though, the service data section of this site is the most reliable and safest place plus has manuals not available elsewhere. Speaking of which, order incoming from yours truly!
Yes.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 1:15 pm   #10
ekjdm14
Banned

I will admit to not knowing the first thing about what you just said! Despite my tender age of 37 computers (software at least) largely baffle me & I just tend to go careful around unknown sites.

Obviously I accept that the hacker's techniques will advance, but up to now the dodgy download links have stood out to me pretty well after my first experience clicking one of them! I may check out the program you suggest though in future as I feel a replacement laptop coming on in the not too distant, this old HP630 has key caps missing & the charger has started throwing the Wifi router into a fit when I plug it in this last week

Anyway sorry to veer off topic, and would be interested to see photos of this Marconiphone myself, they do tend to be more simplistic sets from this era but hopefully this site has the service sheet anyhow.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 1:18 pm   #11
PJL
Dekatron

Radiomuseum is showing some very dubious adverts at the moment that overlay their page.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 1:46 pm   #12
Station X

The OP's question was answered in post #2, so I'll close this thread.

If the OP wishes to discuss his set further he should start a new thread in the "Vintage Radio Domestic" section.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread