UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2019, 12:44 am   #1
BlastfrmthePast
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sobell Model TPS 173. Value?

Greetings all! This is my first post and not sure whether I've placed it the right area.

I have a Sobell Model TPS 173 television. The last time I powered it up - some 15 years ago it was fine. I am not a collector or to be honest an enthusiast, but I do love vintage things and I have kept this television many years which was left to me by a dear friend.

Is it of any value? Is there anything I can do with it? Is it sacrilegious to get these the originals converted; that is if it possible?

Thank you for your help - if I'm totally in the wrong place, perhaps you could point me in the right direction!

Kind regards
Simon
Old 16th Mar 2019, 9:43 am   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Sobell Model TPS 173. Value?

Hi A picture would help I have had a look on line I can't find a picture of that model. One site lists it as a 17" portable.

Value wise it's difficult to say, if it's a 405 only set generally they don't fetch as much as dual standard sets. condition will also have an effect on value.
Either way it's not worth a fortune. Maybe between £20 and £50 ?
There are always exceptions though if you put it on an auction site and two or more people want it...

There isn't a way to "convert" an old set other than to strip out the original chassis and tube and cobble in a later CRT set. Then all that remains of the original is the cabinet. Yes this would be sacrilege. A bit like fitting a quartz battery clock to an antique grandfather clock!
It should be possible to get the set working, it then can be used with a source of appropriate signal from a standards converter.
Rich.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 10:10 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They give a good picture and very reliable once the large number of wax and plastic capacitors have been replaced. The first Radio and Allied chassis to use double sided 'plated' circuit boards. We have an excellent example at the museum at Dulwich. The FM radio section if you could call it that is absolutely useless but that can be ignored.
How did you power it up 15 years ago? The 405 transmissions were switched off in 1985. Just curious. I would agree with Rich here, maybe £20 to £50 could be expected. John.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 10:19 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

One went at auction for £45 so Rich’s estimate is spot on. Produced 1958 and 17 inch screen, details from the Valvepage web site.

https://www.rogersjones.co.uk/en/search?query=Tps173
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29153390-E33F-40DE-A2A7-F1EE26C82D0A.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	179991  
Old 16th Mar 2019, 11:26 pm   #5
BlastfrmthePast
Retired Dormant Member

I am happy for this to go to a good home if anyone wants to collect/restore it. Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.
Closed Thread