UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:47 pm   #1
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default More amazingly long-lasting batteries!

These GP batteries are the original ones that were included in the box with my new Kenwood hi-fi, when I bought it in 2003.

This remote is used many times every day. And it spent eight freezing cold winters in our static caravan, before I brought the hi-fi home and put it in my kitchen, where it stands, this very moment, delivering Radio 4 to me!

How these batteries keep going, I cannot fathom!

Anyone else got such long-lived batteries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190308_11_05_03_Pro (3).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	179589   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190308_11_04_19_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	179590   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190308_11_22_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	179591  

Peter.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:54 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: More amazingly long-lasting batteries!

I've found that factory supplied remote control batteries do last very well, despite usually being an obscure brand of zinc carbons. I don't think I've ever had any leak, unlike their replacements.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 1:07 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I bought one of the first Bose Wave radios offered in the UK, I think that would have been in the autumn of 1994. Was ready to return it if not favourably impressed, but it won me over sufficiently to stay, and the remote control has been in more or less daily use ever since: its original CR2025 finally needed replacement last summer. It could be said to have outlasted the radio's capacitors, the set takes half an hour or more now to recover from any prolonged power outage and I expect a fleet of them are ready to be changed.

Paul
Old 8th Mar 2019, 1:55 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

I am not surprised. I expect they supplied the very best and most long lasting batteries available to avoid warranty returns.

The other classic example is (maybe was?) bulbs for cars, which were way better than you could buy as replacement parts.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 4:10 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I'm not sure if this counts, but I have a very long lived battery pack in my 3-in-1 portable TV from the late 70s. My guess is the battery pack is from the late 70s - 80s, too.

It still works, but it's not often used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ncb.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	179600  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 4:12 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

We also just changed the battery in our remote control, as used with the Bose Wave Radio, we bought it about 25 years ago.
Cheers
John
Old 8th Mar 2019, 6:34 pm   #7
Lancs Lad
Heptode

That's nice - 19Seventy7.

It's really good to see proper Ever Ready batteries still in use.

There's another thread on here about Ever Ready batteries, but I think it has become all about Eveready batteries, which are totally different!

Peter.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 7:03 pm   #8
Pfraser
Pentode

As a budding electronics genius , I had a 2-transistor radio kit from Tandy. A green Tandy Enercell PP3 powered it for years; in fact I think I lost interest in the radio before the battery lost its charge. It didn't leak, either.

A much better battery than those red offerings which were given away to customers proffering a Tandy diary once a month!
Old 8th Mar 2019, 7:18 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
That's nice - 19Seventy7.

It's really good to see proper Ever Ready batteries still in use.

There's another thread on here about Ever Ready batteries, but I think it has become all about Eveready batteries, which are totally different!
I was surprised to see it in the battery compartment, and even more surprised when it worked! Without it, the set is quite a bit lighter, too!

I’ll have to go look on that thread and have a read

Thanks
Old 8th Mar 2019, 9:04 pm   #10
trsomian
Hexode

I have a Sharp calculator, with, I believe, the original 2 Sharp AA cells in it. I acquired it second hand in 1986 after its original owner died. He was a colleague in my office, and since I was still using a slide rule at times it was unanimously decided I should get the deceased person's calculator; his widow didn't want anything from his desk.
Old 10th Mar 2019, 5:13 pm   #11
duncanlowe
Nonode

My wife has a sharp from around the same date. And also still on its originals. Will see if I can dig it out and take a photo.
Closed Thread