UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2010, 1:59 am   #41
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiomobile 4200 help

Hmmm - put another signal in at the volume control and let's see if this also comes out distorted.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 11:27 am   #42
Station X

Is it possible to unplug the vibrator, leaving the battery connected to supply LT, and provide HT from a bench supply connected to the smoothing capacitors? This will help you to determine if there are vibrator problems.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 11:29 am   #43
Station X

Looking back I see you don't have a bench power supply. What about some PP3s in series?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 7:08 pm   #44
PaulR
Dekatron

Well, mystery solved.

It sounded and felt so much like a "that cap" fault that I decided to test the voltages at the ends of them. I found that the brand new poly cap connected to the cathode of the splitter valve was a dead short and had 50 or so volts on the other end of it. Replacing the cap has brought the HT up to spec (more or less) and there is now a healthy negative voltage on the grids of the o/p valves. The sound is much better although I haven't had time to try it with a CD input or with a really suitable speaker.

Who would have thought it?

Thanks for the help, all.

Paul
Closed Thread