UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2009, 11:12 am   #1
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VHF64 - ECC85 gobbler?

Hmm, I'm without FM again. AM is OK but I never listen to anything on that. Looks like I'll be on my third ECC85 in 6 months. Anyone else experienced this "luck"?

Brian.
Old 13th Sep 2009, 11:21 am   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Bush VHF64 - ECC85 gobbler?

Not really, but there are plenty of East European and Russian ECC85s around which are not long lived. You could check R1 and its associated decoupler C2 (Bush service sheet numbers) if it's the RF section which is failing.

Finally, change the screening can to a blackened one. This results in a very noticable reduction in valve temperature and helps to reduce frequency drift (although the Bush VHF boxes are not bad in this respect).

Leon.
Old 13th Sep 2009, 11:24 am   #3
paulsherwin

ECC85s are well known for their short lives, but your experience has been particularly bad.

It would be worth checking that the heater voltage is what it should be.

Paul
Old 13th Sep 2009, 12:11 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It would be worth checking that the heater voltage is what it should be.
and, I suppose, that the mains voltage selector is on the right setting.
Old 13th Sep 2009, 2:37 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I've not had a lot of trouble with ECC85's. I'm wondering if the apparent short life is a 'recent' problem. I have several radio's with ECC85's. One is a Stella 160 with all originals...something like 45 years old. Then there is a Fergy 383A with an original and finaly a Baird 301 with an ECC85 that's been in there over 20 years. Admittedly these don't get used every day and probably less than once a month but I seem to remember that our old Fergy 383A that we used to have in the 60's never failed on FM and was still working when we got rid of it.

Leon could be right about Eastern European versions that are not made to the same standard as the originals.

Rich.
Old 13th Sep 2009, 2:46 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
I've not had a lot of trouble with ECC85's. I'm wondering if the apparent short life is a 'recent' problem.
Several radios which I've restored have arrived with fairly tired ECC85s and worked much better after these were replaced. These were 60s production Mullard, Telefunken etc. I've no way of knowing how many hours they'd done though, and they did still work after a fashion.

I don't know of a special quality ECC85 variant (there's no E85CC) and wonder if the construction pushed the boundaries somehow. The heater consumption is higher than you'd expect for a twin triode.

Paul
Old 13th Sep 2009, 3:44 pm   #7
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

The one that appears to have failed is branded "Ferranti" so gawd knows where that came from. Got a Mullard on the way and crossed fingers.

Am I correct in thinking that the FM module must be removed from the set in order to access the innards for testing?

Brian.
Old 15th Sep 2009, 7:40 pm   #8
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

With the tested yellow-print Mullard in I have music again. Got a NOS Mullard on the way which I will store behind the set ready for a quick changeover if one should prove necessary in the future. I have left the screening can off for cooler operation.

Thanks for the suggestions & comments chaps.
What lovely sounding sets these are.

Brian.
Old 15th Sep 2009, 10:53 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
What lovely sounding sets these are.

Brian.
Here Here ! Especially when you repair the tweeter ! Andy
Old 16th Sep 2009, 12:56 am   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
The one that appears to have failed is branded "Ferranti" so gawd knows where that came from. Brian.
Quite likely Mullard! Manufacturers often made valves for each other, either permanently, or when the need arose.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 10:40 am   #11
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

FWIW here are the two that failed.

I was so glad to have received the Mullard and couldn't get it in the set quick enough so I didn't compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECC85sthatfailed.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	28716  

Last edited by Station X; 16th Sep 2009 at 10:50 am. Reason: Image converted to thumbnail.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 11:19 am   #12
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The Ferranti one looks like it has a Mullard Blackburn factory etch code (B3A) - 1953 manufacture?

The chunky micas with big star edges of the Bentley Acoustic suggest it could be made by RFT in East Germany. The bright red pin seals also suggest Eastern Europe (or Russia but then it would have a sharp end on shiny pins and a dish type getter).
Old 16th Sep 2009, 11:48 am   #13
jjl
Octode

Brian

It would be a good idea to follow Paul and Nick's advice and check that the heater voltage is OK and that the mains voltage selector is correctly set. If a fault of this type exists there is a good chance that you will kill your new ECC85.

John
Old 16th Sep 2009, 12:07 pm   #14
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bush VHF64 - ECC85 gobbler?

Quote:

I was so glad to have received the Mullard and couldn't get it in the set quick enough so I didn't compare.
The Mazda 6L12 is equiv and American 6AQ8 and other B719. Are these any more reliable. Could the heater voltage be reduced. What would happen if the heater voltage was reduced to, say, 6v and just who decided on 6.3V instead of just 6 V for E series valves

Geof (a fellow Ongarterian )
Old 16th Sep 2009, 12:51 pm   #15
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

John, the voltage selector was set at 250V. This was giving HT (measured at the ouput transformer top of primary) of 280VDC and LT (measured at pilot light) of just 4.5VAC! I've reset to 230V and this now gives me 296V HT(spec 300V) and 5.3V LT. Even though the LT was low the pilot lights were bright and the heater glows looked normal. I measure from the pilot light "pip" connection to a point on the chassis since this is the most convenient access. The diagram shows the lights in parallel across the '6.3V' secondary.

Geof, are you still living in Ongar?

Brian.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 1:02 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The heater volts seem way out! Are you sure your meter's accurate? What does it read on other sets with E-series valves?

Nick.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 1:03 pm   #17
Herald1360
Dekatron

[QUOTE=geofy;271861]
Quote:

What would happen if the heater voltage was reduced to, say, 6v and just who decided on 6.3V instead of just 6 V for E series valves

Geof (a fellow Ongarterian )
Not much, presumably, 6V is only 5% low.

I always wondered whether the 6.3V had anything to do with the typical 6V accumulator discharge voltage (12.6V pro rata for a 12V battery)? This is pretty constant at around 6.3V (12.6V) for a reasonably light load relative to battery capacity.

Chris
Old 16th Sep 2009, 1:21 pm   #18
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

I've swapped meters and still get the same reading. I've also gone underneath the chassis and measured the same low HT at the ECH81 base.

So either there is a shorted turn or two in the transformer 6.3V secondary or something is drawing more current than it should from that secondary.

Oh dear

Brian.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 1:44 pm   #19
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
So either there is a shorted turn or two in the transformer 6.3V secondary
Unlikely! It would be getting very hot and smelly by now!!

Rich.
Old 16th Sep 2009, 1:51 pm   #20
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

That's what I thought, which leaves something hogging more current than it should. Maybe the two pilot lights? All the valves apart from the Russian 6P14 replacement for the original EL84 are Mullards.

Update: I've just loosened one of the bulbs so that it is out of circuit. LT is still 5.3V.

Last edited by monoman; 16th Sep 2009 at 2:03 pm.
Closed Thread