UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2008, 11:07 am   #1
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Euromatic 001 (Russian)

Can anyone help me with advice on this.

It is very insensitive on the SW bands and the bandspread channels are effectively dead but it performs well on MW, LW and FM. I have checked the push button switches and they seem OK but the rest of it is a bit of a mystery. It is almost as though the SW section is an entirely separate set.

I don't want to start drastic investigation before I can get a bit more information on what I am doing because the bits that work are very good indeed

I live in hope!
Old 21st Jun 2008, 11:20 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Euromatic 001 (Russian)

Hello John,

Gosh that's an exceptionally fine USSR transistor radio, it even has AFC for AM ! It's not Russian, it was built in Latvia by RRR. I can get you a circuit diagram for it if you haven't yet managed to get one.

Howard
Old 21st Jun 2008, 1:27 pm   #3
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Howard, yes it is a spectacular beast. It doesn't weigh a ton but probably close to 1/2 cwt.

I did manage to get a circuit from Radio Museum that makes it clear that it is a modular construction but all the text is in Russian. If I am lucky I might find there is a connection to the SW module open circuit, the diagram suggests that this might be a possibility.

I will take things slowly and carefully but first try to relate the physical layout to the circuit.
Old 21st Jun 2008, 3:37 pm   #4
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, John, what a monster at almost 8Kg. I have never seen a radio like this before, quite a feat even for the Latvians. I wouldn't like to have to find my way around this one. More like an old computer than a radio! Best of luck with it and hopefully it may be something simple like a bad connection or contact. I am sure Howard would like to get his hands on it!!!
Old 21st Jun 2008, 3:57 pm   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes it is spectacular and the circuit as far as I can understand it does look like a computer. It certainly has several ICs. The nearest radio I have seen to it is a Roberts RCS80 but that is a beginner in comparison.
The performance of the bits that work is so good (like a B&O) that I might even be tempted to accept it as it is.
Old 21st Jun 2008, 9:51 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

These could be handy...

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%3Den%26sa%3DG

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiote...matic_001.html

There's 2 aerials, make sure that they are connected and watch for duff caps at this end. Also, try an external aerial.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 8:43 am   #7
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve,

The German report has made a bit of a breakthrough. The set is a double superhet on SW so it certainly explains why the SW bands can behave so differently from the rest. It might mean however that there are more possibilities than just a bad connection.

Looking at the frequency ranges on SW it might work like one of the SW converters that I seem to remember from the past that uses the main MW set as a variable second IF. In fact I think one of the Murphy sets used this approach to get SW coverage. where the MW set was used to tune what was effectively a variable IF.

It is certainly something interesting to think about but the simpler option of checking the aerials must be the first step. Looking at the case bolts, none has the seals characteristic of Soviet sets so it might well have been opened up in the past.

I am going to have an interesting time.

Regards
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 10:48 am   #8
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know whether it is good news or bad.

The SW aerial seems connected and SW1 is noisier than SW 2-8 this might be that the double superhet is only used on the higher frequencies. Checking with a signal generator and a moderate signal fed straight to the SW aerial gives output on all channels . So it looks as if everything is working after a fashion but very insensitive.

I guess it is a matter of alignment of the SW. What I need to do is learn Russian so that I can get a bit more information from the circuit diagram. Whether this would help or not I don't know. What I really need is a service sheet.
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 12:16 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
........ What I need to do is learn Russian .......
Hello John,

It's not an easy language to learn ..... start by setting up your keyboard so that you can enter cyrillic characters. I have set mine up via Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details so that I can skip between English and Russian cyrillic using alt/shift. I also have stuck cyrillic characters onto the keys on my keyboard (available from eBay). It's easy to translate English to Russian, and Russian found on the web into English, via the Babel Fish website ..

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/?fr=avbbf-uk

Russian text on print images you will have to key in yourself and then translate.

Howard
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 1:33 pm   #10
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I guess it might be easier to reverse engineer the set!!

Unfortunately so far the script is all in the circuit diagram images. Ah well it passes the time - a bit like crosswords !

Old 25th Jun 2008, 2:47 pm   #11
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

An update, so that the thread can be closed.

Zenonas very kindly sent me some scans from a Russian radio magazine that had a very helpful diagram. Fortunately The numerals are the same as ours so this enabled me to find my way about the coils.
The problem was that the SW bands were a long way from alignment. I found that I could reset them with a signal generator and now it performs reasonably well. Whether the problem arose because the second Frequency Changer had been disturbed I don't know. As I had made some sense out of things I decided not to tempt fate by looking for this and left it alone.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.
Closed Thread