UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 23rd Feb 2024, 5:25 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default SMD projects where to look ?

I see plenty of what I refer to as normal size components soldered to copper clad boards for various projects and the work is very impressive as well but I'm not seeing much in the way of SMD projects, it's quite difficult trying to find a web site on YouTube from someone who has used SMD or am I putting in the wrong search words?

Looking for anything with 1206, 0805, 0603, components in someone's build using Manhattan Island style construction just to get a feel for it and what's possible.
I'm now wondering if it may be a lot cheaper buying SMD and SOT components rather than normal size from yesteryear depending on availability and cost.

Does anyone know of any YouTubers with SMD electronics / radio projects or tutorials in the use of SMD?
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 5:31 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: SMD projects where to look ?

Stripboard and SMD components are mutually well suited, particularly for 0805 passives and diodes, and SOT23 devices. DIL devices can be mounted through the board, but only one way round

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 5:39 pm   #3
Malcolm T
Hexode

Thank you
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 5:40 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Before you go that far, you first need some vision. Bench magnifiers are the usual first port of call, but they're not that good. Goldfish bowl vision images your eyeballs want to shift. Keep an eye out for a relatively low magnification stereo microscope

Soldering irons, 1.5 and 3mm chisel bits, fairly hot temperature. Tiny bits don't carry enough heat to the business end. Very frustrating.

The holy grails are JBC and Metcal. Also good are hot air stations. The Chinese ones are soso Best I've ever used were Pace and JBC ...... Weller wasn't much better than chinese cheapies.

Most amateurs are scared away from SMT so there aren't many projects, but a lot of devices now are SMT only package versions available.

Be aware that SMT thick film resistors are very noisy, as bad as carbon comps.

David

David

Get some commercial boards of no value to practice on.
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 5:55 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Malcom, I bought this cheap kit a year or two ago, the 3 rows at the ends are only practice pieces. Cheap kit and the light chaser works in the middle of the board. I used a Metcal Iron with lead tin solder. Also used liquid solder with a cheap hot air rework station, cleaver how the components centre themselves when heated. I would recommend using a 2x magnifier light on an extending arm. Also I recommend watching a few of the You Tube Videos, and make up your own mind. Make sure your board is clean, I use IPA to clean even though it is new. Also plenty of extra flux if using Lead Tin solder.

Good luck with it, John.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303773969...Bk9SR6yUze26Yw

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 23rd Feb 2024 at 6:00 pm.
60 oldjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 6:09 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Stripboard and SMD components are mutually well suited, particularly for 0805 passives and diodes, and SOT23 devices. DIL devices can be mounted through the board, but only one way round
I have been known to use Vero Board, I use a Dremel to slit the tracks giving twice the tracks for a given size. Mount the SMD in any direction just cut the tracks where needed.

John.