UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2008, 1:11 am   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default CRT mounting on a Philips 663a tv

Hello there,
I bought a Philips 663a television set today and I noticed that the CRT seems only to be held by the neck of the tube by the scanning coils.

I am sure there should be something to hold the rim of the CRT as it slides back around 3/4" from the mask as can be seen in the photo below. Does anyone know what the correct mounting of the CRT should be?.

Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips tv.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	15804  
Old 15th Mar 2008, 2:10 am   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: CRT mounting on a Philips 663a tv

From what I've heard, this is normal ! One sold at Harpenden a while back and it was mentioned that the CRT had been well packed to stop it falling out!

I have the 563 model - 9" table verion of the 663 - and as far as I can see, the front of the CRT is rather scarilly held in place only by a the rubber mask! Having said that, you shouldn't be able to move the CRT back/forth - it should only be able to have the tube supported by the neck and hence be on the verge of going bang.

I _love_ Philips !

TTFN,
Jon
Old 15th Mar 2008, 10:22 am   #3
Danny
Heptode

Hi as jon says thay only used the mask for support which when the set was new and the mask nice and stiff was probrably ok but as the rubber turns to goo and sags the tube only hangs on the crt neck. i have the one from harpenden and the set is one of my favourates but i shall have to make a new support for the crt. when i eventually get around to it. my set has doors and i thought the model no was 387a but i may be wrong.
Danny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0106.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	15806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0108.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	15807  
Old 15th Mar 2008, 2:43 pm   #4
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Mine was just the same when I got it, the front of the tube was out of the mask and sitting on top of the chassis.
The back support is very flimsy and not really fit for the job,I haven't done anything with mine except remove the tube.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 7:39 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Very Nice looking sets .sound scary though . how do you service such a thing out of cabinet with no support?
Old 16th Mar 2008, 9:47 am   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I have an idea which might work and that is to use a cut it to length jubilee clip

Briefly I bought one of these kits for gluing a springy plastic strip to the outside of the piston liners when we are rebuilding our power unit from 45149.
The kit consists of a 10 metre length of jubilee clip band and a box of worm screws and cages. The circumfrence of the object is measured and an extra inch is added onto the length. once the band is cut to length the worm screw and cage are assembled on one end and the clip is fitted.

I think that I could make one and fit it to the exterior of the tube mask and clamp the tube rim into place. I will try it out later today.
Christopher Capener
Old 16th Mar 2008, 1:00 pm   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

what will you clamp it to? are you putting some foam padding betwen it and the tube ?
Old 16th Mar 2008, 10:32 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I have had a very good sucess. The jubilee banding works a treat and holds the CRT in place far better than before. The CRT cannot move now.

It is placed right on the rear edge of the mask and is done up just enough so the mask is pressed around the rim of the CRT all the way around. The first picture below shows the banding in position. (television set placed on its front) No modifications to the mask were required and is completely reversible.

The second picture shows the banding on a spare mask I have before it is cut to length to give a better view.
Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crt 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	15827   Click image for larger version

Name:	crt2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	15828  
Old 16th Mar 2008, 11:15 pm   #9
Danny
Heptode

Hi yes this looks good where did you get the jubilee banding from ? and dont over tighten it . Danny
Old 16th Mar 2008, 11:41 pm   #10
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
The banding came from RS components and the strip is 10 meters long with 25 sets of screws and housings I think the kit was around £20.

It was originally bought for helping to glue springy plastic strips around cylinder liners for a Sulzer engine I am helping to restore at the GWR.

The banding is not too tight, just enough to clamp the mask securely to the rim of the CRT to stop it moving.

This pic shows the result. Notice the dust that fell in when I was fiddling around. Pull it apart and start again (drat!)

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crt3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	15830  
Old 16th Mar 2008, 11:45 pm   #11
high_vacuum_house
Octode

RS part number for the banding is 171-938