UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2023, 4:12 pm   #1
dsergeant
Octode

Default Sony ICF5500M

The tuning on this Sony 4 band radio is as you probably know done in a little module with a film dial. It came in totally out of adjustment as the timing had slipped.

According to the manual there is supposed to be a mark on the dial film to align with a similar one on the dial film chassis but I cannot see that, but setting it to around the 530m point seems about right.

But the main problem is that the gears on the dial chassis are slipping, and are clearly not engaging fully. The two snaps below sort of show it. Is it just a case of loosening the lower screw and moving the gear up a little, or is it actual worn teeth, though they look OK.

I have also got to sort out a replacement telescopic antenna but better sort out the tuning first.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	281721   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	281722  
Old 21st Jul 2023, 4:22 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Sony ICF5500M

I would be inclined to loosen that screw, take up the slack in the gears and re-tighten, perhaps leave a little play to allow for any distortion in the gears. It looks like it was put there to take up any manufacturing tolerances, it would'nt do any harm to try this. Regards the antenna, these sets have a pop-up antenna which is probably a special fit. Trying to find an exact replacement may be difficult, I would just try to graft a similar type onto the stub of the original.
Neil
Old 21st Jul 2023, 10:00 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, the “depthing” looks too shallow.
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 9:24 am   #4
marceljack
Pentode

Hi,
The antenna is not visible on the photographs but most Sony ICFs of the 90s had exactly the same antenna, which stub is completely outside of the cabinet and easily replaceable.
Old 1st Aug 2023, 5:41 pm   #5
dsergeant
Octode

Just to update. I released the screw on the dial assembly and tweaked the gear a little. It now tunes very nicely. As for the antenna, that was all there and telescoped but the top cap was broken off so if you collapsed it the sections all went down inside. I bent the top section at 90 degrees right at its end so it would prevent that happened. A bodge and not very pretty, may fit a new antenna as suggested if I find one of the right size.

Dave
Closed Thread