UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2019, 5:03 pm   #21
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: HMV 1950s Record Player

You’re very fortunate to find one with a ‘Double C’ head that still works. The connections to the ceramic element tend to be very temperamental. Mine took a lot of work on the head before it became reliable. And dismantling that head does tend to result in the curse of flying ball bearings which are used to maintain contact when the head is turned. So you have a rarity, a collector’s item. It has a good sound thanks to its 10x6 inch elliptical speaker and decent electronics.

I’d treasure it as it is and enjoy playing mono records on it. Contrary to theory, you’ll probably also get away with playing stereo records as long as they’re not precious ones that you want to keep as mint, but then you wouldn’t want to play precious discs on an early 50s record player anyway!

Martin
Old 19th Sep 2019, 5:26 pm   #22
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Hi Martin
Thanks for the info
Sharon
Old 19th Sep 2019, 5:42 pm   #23
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Hi Edward
Been looking for the BSR but can't find it
Please could you send the link
Thanks very much
Sharon
Old 19th Sep 2019, 9:43 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

PM sent.
Old 19th Sep 2019, 11:34 pm   #25
RojDW48
Nonode

As far as I can tell the mounting centres in the empty head are standard 1/2" centres. These little Chinese cartridges are surprisingly nice - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ickup&_sacat=0 - and they come with mounts, which is a recent development. You could probably get one to fit - with a bit of filing and some inventive connecting.

However - I'm with Martin - the old double C is a strange and wonderful thing. I would love to have one for my old HMV. Count your blessings (and don't play your most precious LPs)
Old 20th Sep 2019, 2:23 am   #26
Techman
Dekatron

I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said regarding the originality of this player and I'm genuinely shocked that the OP would want to spoil such an item with some crude modification. It's virtually unknown for one of those cartridges to still be in working order, which shows that this player has been lovingly stored in a warm and dry environment for all of its past life. This model is iconic in being the one depicted on the late 50s Columbia record covers showing the teenage boy and girl sitting on the floor playing their records. It would be the same as finding the horned gramophone depicted on the HMV record label and sticking an electric motor and a Chinese black and red cartridge on the bottom of the soundbox, or perhaps changing Nipper the dog into a cat!

However, I would go along with the idea of trying to fit a modern cartridge into that empty head shell, although I'm unsure whether the tracking weight is adjustable on this model - it's EMI after all, and they're a law unto themselves when it comes to record decks. Also, as said by others, don't play your best records on it (and why would you want to, anyway?)

One last thing to keep in mind is that if it's totally original then there could be a 'that cap' ready to cause a major melt down of the amplifier, so you'd better check for positive volts on that output valve grid before running it for too much longer.

And one very last thing - it's your record player to do exactly what you like with, so the above is just opinion, thoughts and advice, but as they say, we're not just owners, but more custodians.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 11:02 am   #27
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post

However, I would go along with the idea of trying to fit a modern cartridge into that empty head shell, although I'm unsure whether the tracking weight is adjustable on this model - it's EMI after all, and they're a law unto themselves when it comes to record decks. .
I thought the funny little deck was made by Plessey - badge engineering or my mistake?
Old 20th Sep 2019, 11:42 am   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I know HMV did use Plessey made 3 speed autochangers at around this time, but I am not sure about the single player.
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 8:50 am   #29
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Yes I remember seeing a Plessey Autochanger once in an HMV
Sharon
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 6:01 pm   #30
Audio1950
Dekatron

This single player and the autochange version with the same cartridge are EMI, the Plessey ones had two gold headshells, one for 78, the other for microgroove, although there were versions with a one-piece arm, and a rubber mat, instead of the usual beige felt.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 5:47 pm   #31
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Hi everyone
I know I haven't posted about the HMV for a long time
I have been doing a bit, leaving it and doing a bit more
I have to say say I have replaced the tonearm with a BSR Tonearm
It tracks perfectly and the auto stops at the ensd of the record
Today I have finally got it working with a BSR X5H Stereo compatable cartridge in
I'm delighted to say it is working perfectly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	193355  
Old 9th Nov 2019, 11:35 am   #32
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Here is a pic of the reatored HMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	193410  
Old 9th Nov 2019, 3:01 pm   #33
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I'm glad my suggestion worked for you and indeed it looks just fine. However, and I know I'm being picky and well may be challenged for this, but the BSR X5H (wow, you were lucky to find one) is a high-output cartridge and is liable to overload the amplifier and cause distortion. You would be far better with a BSR X5M - and then go sell the BSR X5H for the small fortune it will fetch!
Old 9th Nov 2019, 3:54 pm   #34
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Hi Edward, actually I have put some attenuation in it and it's not overloading,
In fact my partner says, 'For an old one, it sounds great'
Old 9th Nov 2019, 4:58 pm   #35
Hartley118
Nonode

That’s a nice restoration Sharon.

Despite my antiquarian attachment to the original EMI Double C pickup head, your tidy conversion to the BSR arm and cartridge is likely to prove more reliable.

You’ve also done well to link in the new arm to the (somewhat clunky) EMI autostop mechanism.

Martin
Old 10th Nov 2019, 2:21 pm   #36
Newgirl2013
Hexode

Actually, my partner did most of the work on the HMV under my supervision
She has steadier hands and somewhat more patience than I have at my age
Closed Thread