UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 11th Sep 2019, 5:20 pm   #41
crackle
Dekatron

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

I suppose R31 in my radio could be brown very dark green orange, anyway 10k - 15k not that much difference, and it is all back in the case so I cant take a closer look with more light.
The capacitors I sometimes use are the brown Polyester types, I try to buy ones branded "Suntan" as I found problems with the CBB branded ones, they didn't seem to live up to their voltage rating.. When I tested a 630 volt cap it started making faint crackling noises at about 400 volts.
Suntan ones don't seem so common now, everyone seems to be selling CBB caps.
They are a lot more economical to buy than the yellow axial ones. I do use the axial types sometimes if I am re-stuffing caps in an older 30's radio.

Mike

My collection in the Radio Museum
crackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2019, 6:04 pm   #42
DonaldStott
Heptode

Can anyone advise where I can find a replacement for the C40 electrolytic capacitor.

The KB Museum service manual shows C40 as being 2μF 150V - needs to be axial as well. I appreciate that a modern equivalent of 2.2μF would also suffice?

I've tried all the usual outlets and eBay but no joy??
Old 18th Sep 2019, 6:48 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Can anyone advise where I can find a replacement for the C40 electrolytic capacitor.

The KB Museum service manual shows C40 as being 2μF 150V - needs to be axial as well. I appreciate that a modern equivalent of 2.2μF would also suffice?

I've tried all the usual outlets and eBay but no joy??
It's not axial, otherwise one of these will do, you won't get 150 volts across the capacitor in that circuit position.

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/2U2H100.html

Axial (I've never used this supplier):

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?...oducts_id=2369

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 18th Sep 2019 at 7:07 pm. Reason: correction and additional link.
ms660 is offline   Reply With Quote