UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2019, 3:27 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Schaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre

This is fascinating, a 60's music centre with a difference - it uses 4" recording tape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2GEmHque8
Old 4th Jul 2019, 6:13 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Schaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre

Repaired a couple of these in the mid 60's. Both had faulty reed relays. 120 tracks! Fantastic sound. John.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 7:10 pm   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

I just KNEW I'd see a thread on here about this set after that video was posted! I'm seriously envious of that & if anyone else is keeping an eye out for one currently, you now have competition!
Old 4th Jul 2019, 7:53 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

These do come up for sale quite often so don’t pay much for one, invariably will not be working. They are complicated and quite unreliable so require a fair amount of work to bring back to full working order.
Forum member Brymac has great experience with these has has offered a spare parts service on here before.

Good luck, I’m sure you will find one.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2019, 3:44 pm   #5
andrewferguson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
These do come up for sale quite often so don’t pay much for one
That was, of course, before Techmoan made his video on them. I've seen the prices of other things he's made videos on skyrocket as soon as everyone jumps on the bandwagon and it becomes the next "must-have"... well, the next must-have for an extremely select YouTube audience, anyway.

I admit my first thought when I saw the video was "Blast! I'll never be able to get one now."
Old 8th Jul 2019, 2:17 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

Yes indeed, I can imagine prices making a temporary leap in the wake of this video, I'm happy enough to wait though as most things I've wanted have fallen into my lap just by virtue of keeping tabs on the local auction

I'd imagine there's an awful lot to go wrong with something like this so working examples must command a premium already so I'd certainly be after a "broken" set if I do get one. Fixing the stuff is half the fun though, right?
Old 9th Jul 2019, 6:14 pm   #7
ricard
Octode

What really surprised me was the lack of wind or rewind function accessible by the user. So, say you want to record a 20 minute programme and you've got 5 minutes till the end of the tape, then you'd need to play the tape for 5 minutes so it auto rewinds, then stop it, select an unused track, and press record (so that the machine doesn't start auto rewinding in the middle of the programme).

And it's not practical to listen to a track to hear if it's unused, as by the time you've concluded that that is in fact the case, you've played at least several seconds at least into the start of the tape for that track, and you can't go back, as there is no rewind.

I think I understand what they were going for - a 'music box' with one simple programme selector, and no fast wind to confuse people, but in the end this particular lack of feature would make the operation of the device rather clumsy.

As hinted in the video, in some ways this was the predecessor of the iPod with its simple user interface, but there were a thing or two they didn't get quite right.

Of course all this results in this 'time capsule' thing - people recorded a bunch of stuff with ease, then couldn't be bothered to to use it after the initial excitement wore off, preserving whatever was recorded for posterity.

Interesting point in the video about the devices being dumped by the manufacturer only to be picked up by a distributor in Britain who sold them at discount prices, hence the relative proliferation in Britain despite the German legend on the front panel!
Old 9th Jul 2019, 10:32 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
What really surprised me was the lack of wind or rewind function accessible by the user. So, say you want to record a 20 minute programme and you've got 5 minutes till the end of the tape, then you'd need to play the tape for 5 minutes so it auto rewinds, then stop it, select an unused track, and press record (so that the machine doesn't start auto rewinding in the middle of the programme).

And it's not practical to listen to a track to hear if it's unused, as by the time you've concluded that that is in fact the case, you've played at least several seconds at least into the start of the tape for that track, and you can't go back, as there is no rewind.
Pressing stop initiates the rewind. Also if a recording is ended before the end of the track an audible tone is recorded which later tells the machine to automatically rewind and advance to the next track.

Regard
David
Old 10th Jul 2019, 8:21 am   #9
af024
Octode

So how does the machine distinguish the tone from any recorded material. Perhaps it's a twin track head and one track is for audio and the other track for the tone?

If stop initiates a rewind, the presumably pause will hold the tape where it is?

Interesting.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 11:52 am   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I'm afraid I don't know how it works but I guess the frequency and duration (2 seconds) of the tone is the important factor. Unfortunately recording of the tone and detection of it are just another couple of things that seem to fail on these machines!.

Here's a list of other common problems, just off the top of my head:-
Faulty LDR's
Broken PCB tracks around the push buttons
Dirty relays
Faulty mercury wetted relays
Dried out electrolytic capacitors

Oh and for anybody who are wanting to buy one please don't have it sent through the post. The cabinet is a very crumbly, thin, chipboard and the mechanicals weigh a ton. I would have had all three cabinet styles if I hadn't have had a teak version sent through the post.

Regards
David
Old 10th Jul 2019, 3:00 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Around 1970, when I was quite young but already with an interest in tape recorders, I remember one of these in the radiogram style as a prize on (I think) Sale of the Century, though The Golden Shot is a possibility. Nice to think they'd bought this as a very end-of-line product, doubtless very cheaply.
I was, naturally, baffled by the seemingly impossible number of tracks (my prized Grundig TK124 had two) and until recently thought I'd misheard or the description was wrong. Now I know!
And I remember the voice of (probably) Bob Danvers-Walker saying 'And now you can make tracks home with your new machine!'. Ah, the golden age of television...
Closed Thread