UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2019, 8:49 pm   #1
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Rest-o-brite on rexine or leathercloth?

Has anyone tried using the Rest-o-Brite process on Rexine or Leathercloth? I am currently working on a rather dirty specimen featuring a Rexine covered case that I suspect has lived with a heavy smoker - in any event, the Rexine [altho' in good condition] has darkened significantly.

To-date I've used all the 'usuals' [upholstery cleaner etc.] but I don't really want to scrub it any further - given that cloth-backed Rexine tends to be very thin and fragile. In any event, I suspect that the plastic layer has altered in chemical composition over the years ......
Old 20th Sep 2019, 9:19 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Rest-o-brite on rexine or leathercloth?

Very difficult one. You will probably discover that the Nicotine dye has impregnated the Rexine or Vinyl all the way through. This was the only stain that 'Flash' would not remove.
John.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 10:16 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Nicotine is colourless. Tobacco tar (yellow/brown) doesn't penetrate anything vinyl very easily and can usually be removed with something like washing soda (soda crystals) or detergent. The darkening may well be caused by ageing and/or exposure to sunlight. The trouble is that this sort of thin material becomes fragile with time and any sort of vigorous scrubbing can damage the surface. Doesn't help much, sorry.

Alan
Old 21st Sep 2019, 11:15 am   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

By the way, I'm not sure what 'rest-o-brite' actually is but most products with a similar name seem to be polishes containing abrasives of some description and should definitely be avoided in this instance.

Alan
Old 21st Sep 2019, 11:49 am   #5
Tractionist
Heptode

Hmmmm ..... all and any observations are welcome guys!

For the record, the Rest-O-Brite process comprises the removal of yellowing chemicals within certain types of plastics [primarily bromides] caused via exposure to ultra violet light. The process involves applying a peroxide based paste to the plastic and then encapsulating it in an air-tight translucent bag - then leaving it out in the sun for a few hours .... and letting the ultra violet light act as a reverse catalyst. Serendipity eh?

Sooo .... I've experimented on a spare/identical handle, and it certainly did no harm. Today is officially the last day of Summer ...... therefore, the whole case is now out there - catching the rays!

I'll let you all know how I get on ......
Old 21st Sep 2019, 12:06 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Bleaching is worth a try I guess. Hope the sun shines and it works out well.

Alan
Old 21st Sep 2019, 3:59 pm   #7
Tractionist
Heptode

Up-date ..... it definitely works! The handle looks great, the case front is good too .... but the rear is currently a bit streaky [probably whereat my jiffy bag was ruffled or in contact with it].

I've used this process on 'hard' plastics before [computer components and Ericafons etc.] .... but never on Rexine. I would think that it would be O.K. on Vyanide too .... but as usual "measure twice, cut once" i.e. test a small inconspicuous area ...
Old 21st Sep 2019, 4:56 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

Sounds like a good result and very useful to know that the process can work for this type of material. I assume that the original colour was a shade of cream/ivory.

Alan
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 12:22 pm   #9
Tractionist
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Sounds like a good result and very useful to know that the process can work for this type of material. I assume that the original colour was a shade of cream/ivory.

Alan
Hi Alan - it was/is actually pale 'sea green'. The marked difference in colour was immediately apparent after I'd removed various pieces of trim etc. [albeit that when replaced they would once again have concealed this]. Certain parts of the case formerly seemed to feature a pale brown varnish-like over-tone subsequent to initial cleaning and prior to Rest-O-Brite treatment. Now - there is very little [if any] discernible difference in shade/colour anywhere on the case.
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 2:16 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

Interesting, but I couldn’t source the product, any idea were I could purchase it from?
Cheers
John
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 4:15 pm   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

A quick Google will take you to the distributors. Assuming that's the correct product.
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 4:55 pm   #12
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Interesting, but I couldn’t source the product, any idea were I could purchase it from?
Cheers
John
I believe the basis of the product is hydrogen peroxide which is essentially a bleach and often used for changing the colour of hair. It can be bought as such or in the form of products like OxiClean. The process itself is sometimes discussed on various forums in relation to discoloured plastic 'phones, especially ivory GPO/BT examples.

Alan
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 5:51 pm   #13
John10b
Nonode

I put the product name into Amazon but nothing came up, I’m only interested because I restore Record Players and Radios (as a retirement hobby) and have used Mr Muscle cleaning product with some success.
Cheers
John
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 2:08 pm   #14
Tractionist
Heptode

Ho! I use Jerome Russell 'Blonde' ..... cheap as chips from - Home Bargains. It's 12% peroxide and a small bottle of this paste goes miles.

For the uninitiated - it's to be found in the ladies hair care products section.

I've had no problems with it to-date [and naturally receive many admiring looks ..... well - the radios etc. do!].
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 2:33 pm   #15
Trigon.
Hexode

I'm not sure what Rest-o-brite is? The nearest thing I can find on Google is Britemax 'Resto Max' which is an abrasive compound.

Is this discussion actually about the 'RetrObright' process ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

Cheers
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 3:08 pm   #16
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon. View Post
Is this discussion actually about the 'RetrObright' process ?
Yes, exactly that. Thank you - I've been struggling to remember the correct term for days!

Alan
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 4:17 pm   #17
Tractionist
Heptode

Ho! Sorry all ... I was having a 'blonde' moment [geddit?]! In any event .... it does 'restore' brightness .... and my endeavours are 'current' [geddit? geddit?] ... not 'retro'!

Anyway ..... this [and a bit of associated necessary sunshine] always brings a smile to my face!