UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2021, 11:45 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Garrard RC110

This is not easy to explain but I'll give it a try.

Firstly, I have dismantled, cleaned off old grease and relubricated with fresh Superlube grease.

I've cleaned out the bearings of the pick up arm and gave it a couple of drops of sewing machine oil.

The fault occurs on 7" singles.

In automatic mode, the size selector comes across, the record drops, then the pick up arm slowly moves over to the start of the record, then speeds up and overshoots the start of the record often by enough to trip the changer mech.

After a few times, it behaves normally, with the arm moving across and dropping at the start of the record.

I've dismantled that part of the changer and made sure every part it lubricated and free to move, but I've got no idea as to whats causing it.

Can anyone help me?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Sep 2021, 11:12 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard RC110

Well silly me, I originally put the title RC75 but its actually an RC110.

The fault is exactly the same, so can anyone help me?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Sep 2021, 12:35 pm   #3
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard RC110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
This is not easy to explain but I'll give it a try.

Firstly, I have dismantled, cleaned off old grease and relubricated with fresh Superlube grease.

I've cleaned out the bearings of the pick up arm and gave it a couple of drops of sewing machine oil.

The fault occurs on 7" singles.

In automatic mode, the size selector comes across, the record drops, then the pick up arm slowly moves over to the start of the record, then speeds up and overshoots the start of the record often by enough to trip the changer mech.

After a few times, it behaves normally, with the arm moving across and dropping at the start of the record.

I've dismantled that part of the changer and made sure every part it lubricated and free to move, but I've got no idea as to whats causing it.

Can anyone help me?
Well this is a longshot but as no-one so far has any comment perhaps its worth a go.

I had a similar problem with a BSR, the arm would move over to the start of the record and then inexplicably jerk toward the centre by half inch. the problem was caused by a spring, it was a tension spring but one with a long straight bit at one end, I'd accidentally put the spring back in the wrong way, not long bit at wrong end but the long bit down the wrong side, so it was rubbing against a part used during the set down. I turned the spring over so the long part was just 1 or 2mm away from the part and all was fixed. I note you said you'd done a full dismantle which is a clue that a spring may have been put back incorrectly, but also I note that after a few goes it starts working ok, which doesn't fit as well with my spring theory!

Hope this give you an idea, that leads to a resolution

cheers
Joe
Closed Thread