UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2018, 7:45 pm   #401
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Maplin stores

The sales lady at Sheffield Drakehouse store told me last night that they have been told that they will remain open until all the stock is sold....... no indication of amalgamating stock into just one store though.
Plenty of stock left here and at Rotherham but gaps are appearing on the shelves. Drakehouse is selling the store’s multiple drawer units off at just the discounted cost of the various components that each contains. Works out about £22-£25 each. Rotherham is doing the same but trying to sell the whole column of drawers at £93.
Fuses seem to have sold out.
Peter
Old 4th Apr 2018, 8:32 pm   #402
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealandsilver View Post
Does anyone know if the Bedford or Cambridge stores are still open? I will be visiting the area next week and fancy popping in.
The Cambridge one in St Andrews St (I hope that's it?, maybe Regent St) was open last Sunday

Fred
Old 4th Apr 2018, 8:53 pm   #403
tealandsilver
Tetrode

Thanks Fred, should be down in St Neots in a weeks time so hopefully I'll get out to Cambridge,

David
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:54 pm   #404
1955APREN
Hexode

Shrewsbury store was still trading yesterday some of the stock was reduced by 30% but not all. SWMBO purchased a bat for killing insects for4 £3:99 and I came away with uhf /Band3 out door amp aerial for £19;99 complete with power supply and u clamp. Staff did not know when close down was going to happen.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 11:25 pm   #405
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealdave View Post
Maplin’s in Romford are selling the sealed lead acid batteries at half price – the 12V 12Ah down from £40 to £20 and the 6V 10Ah down from £25 to £12.50.

If anyone wants one and would like me to bring it to the NVCF let me know – that’s if they still have some.
I've just replaced my mobility scooter batteries(2x 12v, 12AH) for around £50 with at least a year warranty. And these are not the usual cheapo "as sold by mobility shops " specials.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 12:55 am   #406
emeritus
Dekatron

We use 12v 12Ah batteries in our electric bikes. There are types designed for static use and types designed for traction that have the same dimensions but have more robust plates. The traction-quality batteries I get from Farnell cost around £40 each but are still going strong after more than 5 years. The ones that were supplied with the bike barely lasted one year.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 2:44 pm   #407
ionburn
Heptode

Filled up a lucky bag here in Lincoln this morning. Odds and ends including project boxes and fuses plus a few plugs. Much is reduced by 50 or 60% now but not all! Sealed lead acid batteries are reduced by 50% if anyone is interested. There were quite a few there when I visited.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 3:15 pm   #408
emeritus
Dekatron

In my local store today, fuses and connectors were 70% off, but most other stuff is still only 20% -30% off. The micro SD card I wanted was cheaper in the local Argos, and came with an adaptor.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 4:16 pm   #409
Sinewave
Octode

Popped in today to collect a small enclosure now they're 60% off.

There's one or two other things I'd have, if they were similarly discounted, otherwise there's no massive saving.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:45 am   #410
Station X

Eleven posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145554

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 1:16 pm   #411
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Went to the Cambridge Beehive today, still lots of items there but none of it stood out to me as that 'must buy me now' bargain, in fact some of items seemed to still be what I would describe as expensive.

There were 3 x RAACO type storage racks with components still in, these either seemed to be LEDs or light bulbs. Prices were around £45 to £60.

Regards

James
Old 11th Apr 2018, 2:09 pm   #412
Radio Wrangler

This thread is also an iinteresting indication of how much Maplins prices needed to go down by before stuff could have been shifted.

Cause and effect combined.

David
Old 11th Apr 2018, 4:13 pm   #413
PsychMan
Octode

My local store took the strange measure of barricading off the rear of the store where the component counter is, with a small sign saying "due to unmanned counter". Its never been manned to my knowledge, I've always pressed a bell and waited some time before someone from the shop floor comes over.

I asked for some cable and had to stand 5 metres away to ask for it which was a surreal experience, and they didn't have what I wanted anyway so I bought on eBay. That encapsulates most of my experiences with Maplin
Old 11th Apr 2018, 4:21 pm   #414
Dai Corner
Hexode

I went to Cardiff (Newport Road) branch today. There were about four or five staff and a similar number of customers.

They were selling mixed bags of components for 70% off which didn't tempt me; I'd rather order exactly what I wanted from RS/CPC, or China if I didn't need them in a hurry. Surely mixing them up will reduce their value on the surplus market?

I avoided any of the things which might go wrong and leads, electrical accessories and the like seemed expensive even at the discounted prices.

I did buy packs of 100 Maplin branded AA and AAA cells at £14.99 each. Let's hope they turn out to be decent quality.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 7:57 pm   #415
mm0 dhh
Triode

I had a rare visit to the Perth store at the weekend looking for a power connector to fit a guitar effects pedal. Unsure of the dimensions I looked unsucessfully for a catalogue to find out what was available, when I asked for one I was told they weren't available any more as mail order was no longer possible.
Undetered I found the still well stocked power connectors rack, plenty of possible candidates but when I asked if I could try them for size I was told 'we'd rather you didn't'.
I didn't get the impression they're keen to shift stock.
Like others have found anything useful has gone leaving boxes of overpriced landfill tat.
Sad end really, their mail order service in the 80s helped launch my interest in electronics.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 10:59 pm   #416
IanBland
Hexode

I just got my delivery of 128 potentiometers today, which is quite a lot but at 24p each I got a bit carried away. They're the smaller "miniature" type which are quite nice quality for a sort of mixer/switcher project I'm half-assedly working on. Felt a bit sad picking over the bones of a failed company, truth be told. Like many here I have fond memories of their heyday.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 4:46 am   #417
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBland View Post
Felt a bit sad picking over the bones of a failed company, truth be told.
I really wouldn't feel so sad, the real vultures will still be circling, waiting their chance.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 2:05 pm   #418
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Will we soon see ex-Maplin stock being flogged in TK Max? Cheap DMMs next to last year's frying pans?
Old 12th Apr 2018, 2:33 pm   #419
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
Will we soon see ex-Maplin stock being flogged in TK Max? Cheap DMMs next to last year's frying pans?
No idea. But in Cardiff Maplin and TK Max are only a couple of doors apart so it wouldn't be a big job to move the stock!
Old 12th Apr 2018, 3:37 pm   #420
neil29
Heptode

I went to the Newport road branch on Tuesday but I wasn't tempted by any of it because as many people have said the prices haven't come down that much considering they're meant to be clearing it all out..

Cheers
Neil.
Closed Thread