UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2018, 3:44 pm   #1
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default National Panasonic NV-380 ticking sound from capstan motor

Hi guys. Somebody gave me a National NV-380EM (D-chassis, very similar to the more popular NV-370) to get it serviced with new belts etc. The machine works fine now but it's got a small issue. When the VCR is in play or record mode, the capstan motor makes a ticking sound everytime it makes a rotation. It's not very annoying but makes me wonder of the stator is rubbing against the coil(s) if the motor. Can anybody help me on this? I have attached a video to show you the issue. Thanks in advance!

https://uploadfiles.io/rgcmj
Old 17th Jul 2018, 10:13 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: National Panasonic NV-380 ticking sound from capstan motor

Hi I think it could be ripple in a supply line I am sure I had a similar fault years back. I can't remember if it was a dried up capacitor in the power supply or on the motor PCB.

If the motor spins freely by hand with no ticking when the supply is off I would suspect a capacitor.
Can you scope the supply for ripple?

Hope this helps..
Rich.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 9:14 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi. Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I don't have a scope but I can test the voltages using the service manual for the NV-370. Would that be enough?
Old 27th Jul 2018, 9:55 pm   #4
vhs doctor
Pentode

Hi

If your VCR can not playback tapes or you have distorded sound or picture check fusible resistors and replace all the capacitors on PSU. As i remember this VCR have two PSU sections one in power transformer PCB and the other on in main board PCB (bottom side). Also when you have faulty capacitors the motor don't have enough force to rotate it is very easy to stop the rotor with your hand.

If your VCR operates normally.
In this case maybe you have lack of lubrication or faulty bearings.
Remove the rotor clean well the surfaces and apply a small drop of oil according to the service manual.Check also the capstan brake.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE SPACERS.
Old 30th Jul 2018, 10:56 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi. The VCR plays and records perfectly. It's just that clicking sound from the capstan motor that worries me. Sometimes the motor gets stuck in play mode and I can hear a squaking sound from the motor while it's trying to turn. In this case I have to press forward search to unstick it. I tried swapping the motor from the NV-G10 but they are different.
Old 31st Jul 2018, 3:30 pm   #6
vhs doctor
Pentode

That means that your circuit and the motor stator is OK.
Are you sure that the sound comes from the motor or from the other moving parts?
The squaking sound comes from the belt when the motor trying to rotate.

Make the following test.
Unplug the VCR and rotate with your hand the loading motor until the VCR mechanism goes to play position.
In this position rotate the capstan motor with your hand. If the sound exist remove the capstan belt and rotate again the capstan motor if the ticking sound still exist check the pinch roller bearing and the capstan motor bearing. If the ticking sound does not exist rotate the pulley which drives the idler and check what happen.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 9:17 am   #7
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Have you checked if there is any side to side play in the capstan? I have had quite a few Panasonic decks where the capstan is physically worn away where it goes through the bushings - makes a tapping sound more than a click - but something to be aware of. As parts were not available I cured the issue by drifting the capstan shaft out of the capstan assembly and putting it back the other way, which meant the wear points were no longer anywhere critical.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 1:40 am   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi to both. I took the capstan motor apart and installed the motor of the NV-G10 except the stator, which isn't interchangable, and the problem still persists. So I came to the conclusion that the stator is worn out. I will order a new part and replace it, while it's still available.

Fivos
Old 6th Aug 2018, 3:39 pm   #9
vhs doctor
Pentode

Are you sure
The idler pulley is OK
The stator is ok when the motor have the torque to rotate the rotor.
If your problem was in stator you must have problem in FF/REW function also the picture and sound must be distorded or completely lost.
Closed Thread