UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2018, 10:47 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default OMY - what are these devices?

I found these OMY120, OMY122 and OMY125 devices when going through a tray of components a friend gave me. They are packaged in a 10 pin TO-5 style case and could possibly be RTL or DTL logic gates made by Philips or Mullard.

I cannot find a data sheet for that family of devices on the web or any reference to them in the Mullard catalogues I have to hand.

Can anyone identify them please.

Thanks

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OMY-Integrated-circuits.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	166062  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 11:34 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: OMY - what are these devices?

Not that much help from an Italian web site -

"Mullard has done it lately
some new types of integrated circuits
DTLs including the OMY range and the
FC range, which are presented
in TO-5 ten-terminal housing. There
range .OMY, designed for use in
small computer systems and in equipment
control clusters, is composed of two
series: the OMYIOO and the OMY120, iden¬
tics between them except for the tempe¬
operating ratures ranging from
-55 ° C to 4-125 ° C for the OMYIOO series
and from 0 ° C to +75 ° C for the series
OMY 120. Both have a typical
time delay by stage of 23 nsec
and can bear a dissipation of
18 mW for logic threshold; the margin of
noise extends up to 950 mV a
25 ° C."
Old 15th Jul 2018, 12:50 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

DTL... Diode-Transistor Logic. Pre-TTL stuff

David
Old 15th Jul 2018, 8:36 am   #4
Neutrino
Pentode

There is some information on page 11 of Philips "A Brief History of the Southampton Plant 1956 - 1996".

http://pepnet.org.uk/yourarticles/So...on/History.pdf

"In 1965 a basic form of DTL (Diode Transistor Logic) was put into production.
During this period, production commenced on the OMY100 range of multi-chip gates and "flp-flp" circuits"

Also mentioned here:

http://www.wylie.org.uk/technology/c...h/monolith.htm

David
Old 15th Jul 2018, 9:25 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

And the thing that preceded even DTL was RTL (resistor transistor logic). RTL was used in the Apollo Guidance Computer. Nearly 3000 flat pack ICS, all three input NOR gates. About 4kb of core store for RAM and about 75kb of core rope memory for fixed program ROM.

Slightly off topic, this is the best series of videos from a guy who has a complete set of Apollo AGC rope memories that flew on a test flight, how he reads them, and in the second video there is a Raytheon film about how they were made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WquhaobDqLU
Old 15th Jul 2018, 9:47 am   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
There is some information on page 11 of Philips "A Brief History of the Southampton Plant 1956 - 1996".

http://pepnet.org.uk/yourarticles/So...on/History.pdf
That was interesting!

I did electronics at Southampton University, and one of my best mates got a job at Mullard Southampton when he graduated. He was given the job of CV (capacitance-voltage) testing MOSFETs, which were part of their logic IC programme (it is in the above link - mid to late 1977). Now my mate, being rather bright and only 21, did not like a mindless repetitive job. So he developed a machine to automate it, skunkwork-like, out of hours.

He then went to his boss and said, look at what I've done here - what would you like me to do now? Expecting to be given the next thing to automate, or at least something else more interesting to do. "No - your job is CV testing".

Not surprisingly he resigned, pretty much on the spot. A very few years later he joined the early stage of Microsoft in software development for Win 2.0 (and of course moved to the US), got shares each year, and now owns a huge house and a massive tract of land.

So in a very real sense, Mullard did him a massive favour.

Craig
Old 15th Jul 2018, 1:47 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

OMY - that must have been before a pro electron standard was set for logic circuits. After the standard was set, Philips pretty much only used pro electron designations (or pre production codes with letters OM behind the number) for ICs and OM designations for hybrids. It seems to me those are real ICs.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 2:34 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Or does it fit in with their OM prefixed hybrids like the VHF amplifiers currently plagueing Marconi test gear?

David
Old 15th Jul 2018, 4:36 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

There weren't any overlaps I'm aware of, so in that sense it fits in quite nicely. The difference is that in the days of OM100/OM200/OMY100/OMY120 the later pro electron designations weren't used yet, so while later OM numbers are mostly hybrids, those early OM's were real IC's.

I'm maintaining an active list (OMY will be added shortly) at https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/113864/1. Unfortunately, I haven't always specified whether a chip is a hybrid or a real IC.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 4:58 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Hmm, now what is the definition of an IC?

The word 'Microcircuits' gives a sense of scale without saying whether it is a construction on alumina or FR4, or all in one piece of silicon.

'Hybrid' says that the active devices aren't of the same lump that acts as the substrate.

'Monolithic' says that everything, substrate, devices etc are made from one lump of whatever it may be.

'Thick film' hybrids usually means that resistors at least are made by deposition on the surface, and that normally needs a substrate which can survive firing.

I think of real ICs as being monolithics, and then all the rest get fuzzy borders.

David
Old 15th Jul 2018, 8:08 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

I agree. I'll try and remember to use the word monolithic where appliccable
Old 15th Jul 2018, 8:15 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

I think we can blame the Romans and the ancient Greeks, roughly 50:50

David
Old 15th Jul 2018, 11:57 pm   #13
ronbryan
Octode

Thanks to everyone for their interesting replies. I have been up in the (hot) loft and located a Mullard Designer's Guide (i.e. short form catalogue) from 1965 and the OMY devices unsurprisingly are not listed, confirming they were introduced after that date. I also found a later one, now called an Industrial Products (short form) catalogue dated 1969/70 and the logic ICs offered are of the FJ.. series in DIL packages.

I'm sure that I had a plain blue and black coloured Mullard short form catalogue dated in between 1965 and 1969, but I could not find it.

Ron
Old 16th Jul 2018, 11:43 am   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

It would satisfy curiosity to know exactly what these are- type/number of gates etc.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st May 2020, 7:38 pm   #15
ronbryan
Octode

I've found the blue and black catalogue mentioned in post #13 whilst looking in the shed for something else. It's titled Mullard Industrial Semiconductors Quick Reference Guide 1967/68. The page I have posted identifies the OMY device functions and has a few parameters mentioned, including apparently the need for a +/- 6V supply.

It says that the main data is published in Volume 7 of the Mullard Technical Handbook, presumably for 1967/68. If anyone has this volume, it would be useful to find out the full data and the pin-out details for the 10 pin TO-5 style packages.

The devices I have are OMY120 3 input DTL (diode transitor logic) NOR/NAND gates, OMY122 bistable steering circuits and some OMY125 five diode logic gate input expanders.

The FCH series DTL following the OMY data seems to have more gates per package and is presumably a later generation of DTL.

Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf File0021.PDF (652.5 KB, 95 views)
Closed Thread