UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2018, 6:00 pm   #621
TonyDuell
Nonode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Gee's is still open on Mill Road
What a splendid shop, I do remember old Mrs Gee saying INxxxx (eye en) rather than 1Nxxxx (one en). Must be 30 odd years ago since I visited. My house was less than a hundred yards away, I could just pop in for a resistor by asking, for example, a 1/4W 10K one, a swift 360 degree turn round by a member of staff (the family) and it was there.
I always found it appropriate that I could get high-speed mercury relays from H.Gee's.... They had a truely amazing range of components.

Getting back on-topic, are there any Maplin shops still open? Orpington has closed (passed it today).
Old 16th Jun 2018, 8:43 pm   #622
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Someone has edited the Wikipedia entry (I think yesterday) to say that all stores have closed.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 9:18 pm   #623
Reelman
Heptode

A member of staff told me that the last 10 shops closed today. I visited Chesterfield branch and was handed a carrier bag on entry by the Administrator’s representative and told to fill it full for a pound. Nothing very exciting left, mainly audio and video cables. Still managed to fill a few bags though.

Thanks and Goodbye Maplin, we will never see your like again.

Peter
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:34 pm   #624
AC/HL

A suitable epitaph. Mixed emotions expressed here, but undoubtedly a sad loss to many.