UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2017, 2:04 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Murphy News

I've been looking on the web in search of an archive of Murphy News, I'm particularly interested in pre-war issues.

I did see some later ones on "pinterest" but that is all.

I realize that it is unlikely that such a site exists but if anyone knows otherwise please post a link.

Thank you.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 4:37 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Murphy News

Just bumping this with no expectation of a positive outcome.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 7:39 pm   #3
sobell1980
Octode

I love the big Murphy sets. I've recently repaired 2 baffle board console sets that now get used daily.
I've had a brief look for you and came up with this! They may be able to assist further.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...9-b6b696d17711
Good luck on your quest.
Best wishes
Dave.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 7:50 pm   #4
sobell1980
Octode

Relating to the above post, national archives have four documents available. You can find their opening hours by navigating their site.

Alternatively there is this link too
http://www.ourwelwyngardencity.org.u...-radio-company

Or failing that contact your local city library to see if they can locate anything. Or another try would be any radio or communication museums . A TV and radio museum I recently visited was called Montecute radio museum. It's in Devon/ Dorset area.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 8:20 pm   #5
Station X

The four documents aren't held at The National Archives in Kew, they're just listed in their catalogue.

They are in fact held here:-

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/a/A13530081

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/millgreenmuseum

A search of the online catalogue accessible from the second link looks promising. Several volumes of MN listed. The picture is just a selection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mn.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	155638  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 9:36 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the links. I visited the Mill Green Museum last summer but never thought to ask about the magazine at the time.

That will have to wait for a future visit if I have no luck in the meantime.

I'm looking in particular for a site where I can download copies of Murphy News or at least read copies of the magazine on line. I am particularly interested in the technical development of Murphy domestic radio receivers during the 1930s.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 11:05 pm   #7
sobell1980
Octode

I will keep searching with you. I would be interested also. I don't like being beaten. I'm sure we can find something. Watch this space.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 12:40 am   #8
murphymad
Heptode

Colin,

Why not have a real set of your own ?

Talk to me sometime at an event. I am sure I can find you a lot of them...

Mike...
Old 18th Jan 2018, 12:42 am   #9
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thank you Mike that is very kind of you. I will do that.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 2:26 pm   #10
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
Colin,

Why not have a real set of your own ?

Talk to me sometime at an event. I am sure I can find you a lot of them...

Mike...
Hi Mike,

Probably a silly question but are you planning to be at Harpenden Sunday 11th as usual?
Old 31st May 2018, 8:12 pm   #11
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post

I'm looking in particular for a site where I can download copies of Murphy News or at least read copies of the magazine on line. I am particularly interested in the technical development of Murphy domestic radio receivers during the 1930s.
Colin, I have quite a few pre-war Murphy News magazines in my collection. I'm quite happy to scan a few pages if there’s a particular model you might like to know about. They cover mostly the late 1930's sets and there's a good chance I might have something of interest. I could even post them up here, they’re incredibly interesting.
Please don't ask me to do the lot.....it will just take too much of my time.

A little story of how I came by them-
It must have been over twenty years ago I put an advert in my local newsagents window asking for any old radios people might want to sell.
An elderly gentleman got in touch with me with a Murphy set he was willing to sell on, I was delighted with this as it was Murphy’s I was mainly interested in. He only lived a short walk from my house and the said radio was A38c. I was very pleased indeed, he didn’t want much for it, I even offered more but he blankly refused to take any more money for it, I think he was just pleased it was going to a good home. (I still have this lovely set and it works perfectly.) I got chatting with him and he actually worked for Murphy in Welwyn Garden City back in the 1930’s and 40’s. It was clear by the way he was talking it was more on the technical side, I recon he must have been well into his eighties.
He took my number saying he had a few other things I might be interested in. It was some months later he phoned saying he had a box of Murphy News magazines I could have. It was rather sad he was a lot frailer compared to the last time I saw him. Not long after this his house when on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3692.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	163916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3693.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	163917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3694.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	163918  
Old 1st Jun 2018, 9:35 am   #12
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hello Clive,

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I have already accepted Mike's kind offer but I haven't got around to collecting them yet. Living in the East Midlands I am a bit away from the centre of things in the vintage radio world. I don't tend to go to the trouble of travelling the distances to events so much now, mostly because my collection is already a bit too big and I try not to buy more stuff. I anticipate meeting up with Mike in the near future to collect the magazines but in the meantime I would like to accept your offer.

There are a couple of models I am particularly interested in at the moment in connection with a project that I am about a month into and I would like to accept your offer as a stop-gap solution. I shall PM you with the details.
Closed Thread