UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2019, 3:23 pm   #1
silverfox684
Tetrode

Default Brenell MK5 s3

Great email Tony thank you, well into the Brenell now, been following someone around the power supply,changing the electrolytics, some i can see leaking,also changing the motor capacitors,? question is what about the RED hunt caps

Regards Earl
Old 17th Sep 2019, 7:17 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell MK5 s3

Personally I don't replace all capacitors. I test them.

In this case I'd test them all for leakage at the sort of voltage they will experience in the unit. If only 1 or 2 are defective, I'd just replace those. If a significant number are leaky then I'd change the lot.
Old 18th Sep 2019, 9:17 am   #3
silverfox684
Tetrode

Morning, the can electrolytics are showing signs of leaking, did change them, then checked ,they were defective,i will check the others.
Old 18th Sep 2019, 11:35 am   #4
silverfox684
Tetrode

You are right, thinking back to my apprentice days when someone came into the shop, and said can you look at this its not working, we tested things, voltage, not just replaced items,back too basics,just tested a Hunts electrolytic its fine within range,

Regards Earl
Old 19th Sep 2019, 3:18 pm   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've worked on a few of these and found a lot of the red hunts coupling caps to be very leaky as well as several of the higher value carbon resistors had gone high. Check the usual voltages around the valves, IE cathode, pins 3/8 on the ECC valves should be around 1v, grids should be 0v. Clean the pots too.

Andy.
Old 21st Sep 2019, 2:13 pm   #6
silverfox684
Tetrode

Thank you Andy, its playing very well, the sound is better then the Ferrograph!!,getting the Crackle, when switching from one motor to the other,as did the ferrograph,will check and test, my digital multi meter seems very accurate checking capacitors, going to need a way of checking at working voltage,
Earl
Closed Thread