UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 5th Aug 2019, 10:31 pm   #21
Argus25
Nonode

Default Re: Source of decent 60/40 solder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
"the military, medical and aerospace industries were exempt from the leaded solder ban, in fact I recall hearing that in those areas lead-free was verboten. "

Mike
Thank God for that. I wouldn't like flying in a plane where the electronics was based on Lead free solder. I have seen so many problems of spontaneous failure secondary to Tin whiskers in Lead free solder, it doesn't take that long due to the very fine pitch of IC pins. I had a device in my workshop fail just the other day, alarm bells went off when I saw Pb free stamped on the board and I found the whiskers.

The people who banned Lead from solder (like the ones who banned mercury) didn't realize two things; it is the salts of the metals that are toxic, not the metals themselves, this is why a Sailor never gets sick from handling Lead sinkers or a person doesn't drop dead from the Mercury in their amalgam fillings (50% by weight), and that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Maybe Lead free solder, like electrolytic capacitors, has become a useful tool for life cycling a product.

Last edited by Argus25; 5th Aug 2019 at 10:36 pm.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2019, 9:05 am   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

However if you want to be worried there are plenty of tin plated RF shields inside avionics. And from experience digging inside a tektronix 7L12 there’s tin whiskers too off them.
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:19 pm   #23
Argus25
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
However if you want to be worried there are plenty of tin plated RF shields inside avionics.
How comforting, Thanks!

The recent tin whisker problem I had was in an LG computer monitor, The menu randomly appeared and went through selections erratically like a Ghost was pushing the buttons. Also when it occurred, split down the mid-line of the screen, half the screen's contrast changed, because two different parts of the circuitry were getting linked by a whisker.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:42 pm   #24
TonyDuell
Dekatron

To get back on-topic, Machine Mart sell 'Draper' brand 60/40 solder and I had no problems buying a reel this morning. I am not sure of the quality (particularly the flux) but it is sold for electrical work (the only warning being that it is not to be used on drinking water supplies).
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2019, 12:49 pm   #25
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
"the military, medical and aerospace industries were exempt from the leaded solder ban, in fact I recall hearing that in those areas lead-free was verboten. "

That's what I understood too. And the exemptions are for things that are critical or important, which says a great deal about the reliability of lead-free. Seems what we do just isn't important.
No, it's because lead-free is unknown for long-term use.

Leaded solder has been used in electronics for 90+ years, and how it behaves after decades of use (ie, relatively problem-free) is well-known. If, or when, lead-free stuff has been around, working well, for some decades, problem-free, then the hi-rel industries will accept it. But that is way out in the future.

Basically, the consumer industry is doing the life-testing for the avionics and military industries, now, in real-time.
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 9:03 am   #26
M3VUV51
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Radio rally is a good source usually. Horncastle was only 8 days ago! Tattershall Tony often has some at good prices.
Rob
I'm from Horncastle, never saw any solder there though.
M3VUV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 3:05 pm   #27
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've just ordered a couple of reels from RS. As far as I can tell the order just went through as usual- the order confirmation came straight back. I do have a registered account (though not a credit one) with them, though. Can't remember what details I provided when I registered but I don't recall making any dubious claims about my status.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 6:52 pm   #28
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I've just ordered a couple of reels from RS. As far as I can tell the order just went through as usual- the order confirmation came straight back. I do have a registered account (though not a credit one) with them, though. Can't remember what details I provided when I registered but I don't recall making any dubious claims about my status.

Update- apparently not after all. Just got email quoting REACH etc etc and Trade Customers. Off to eBay, then.....
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 7:25 pm   #29
ionburn
Hexode

It's finally happened? The last time there was a thread started here on this I threw in a couple of quick orders, one to RS and one to Rapid for reels. No problem then, which suprised me considering what was being said on the thread, so I have enough for a year or two.

I have looked into similar things with leaded artist's paint. There is similar legislation with regard to professional use but indications there was to it not being available in tubes, just larger tubs. I won't go into politics but I do wonder about future regulation in a world market.
ionburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 8:08 pm   #30
Whaam68
Pentode

Duratool has always worked well for me...100g is about 7 on eBay shipped or CPC have over 1000 units in stock.....they are cheaper but you need to add the shipping.
Whaam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2019, 9:47 pm   #31
turretslug
Nonode

I was quite pleased with some Duratool solder I bought a couple of years ago from an eBay seller- at 20 delivered for a 2.5kg roll of 1.2mm flux-cored, I thought I'd take a chance and if it worked out, it'd probably see me out! On initial use, the hot flux smelt odd, a bit like melting polythene, and I thought, ha, you got a duffer there.... In fact, it wets and flows very well with hardly any residue, I assume it is a reasonably up-to-date and sophisticated flux that presumably meets H+S requirements well. I had used Multicore at work for years and eventually got an unpleasant throaty reaction whenever using it, but the Duratool stuff seems pretty innocuous.

20 for 2.5kg new and sealed was a bit of a steal, I suspect it was from an outfit clearing out their batches of now-frowned-upon 60/40. Bargains like this used to be quite frequent as legislation bit, but a bit of patience is still worthwhile.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2019, 5:32 am   #32
John M0GLN
Heptode

I've just looked on the 'ESR Electronic Components' website
https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/pr...-soldering.htm
and they sell both leaded and lead free solders and of the former they say,

"This product is RoHS Exempt. Under Rohs (Lead Free) Regulations, Leaded Solders must only be used for your own personal projects. It MUST NOT be used for work on Third Party applications or on products to be sold to a Third Party"
John M0GLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2019, 5:56 am   #33
defender
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
Duratool has always worked well for me...100g is about 7 on eBay shipped or CPC have over 1000 units in stock.....they are cheaper but you need to add the shipping.
CPC delivery free on orders over 8+VAT
defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2019, 9:10 am   #34
MrBungle
Dekatron

Loctite genuine multicore is 7 on ebay as mentioned earlier: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222265194619
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2019, 5:45 pm   #35
usradcoll1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Loctite genuine multicore is 7 on ebay as mentioned earlier: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222265194619
I always liked Ersen Multicore solder the best, followed closely US brand Kester. Some the other brands, the quality wasn't consistent.
Dave, US radcoll1
usradcoll1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2019, 6:18 pm   #36
emeritus
Dekatron

Here's an advert for Ersin Multicore that appeared on the back cover of "Wireless World", October 1945, suggesting you were not alone!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ersin 1945.pdf (1.24 MB, 23 views)
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote