UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2019, 10:33 pm   #1
Chris_jenkin
Diode

Default Power connection for Dynatron Cavalcade 3 round pin

Hi I've just acquired a Dynatron Cavalcade Record Player but it is missing the power cable - Its a small 3 round pin but I cant find a plug to fit. I'm not used to valves - is there anything I'd need to do before powering it up - assuming I can find a connector ?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynatron power connection .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	177378  
Old 30th Jan 2019, 9:09 am   #2
snowman_al
Hexode

Default Re: Power connection for Dynatron Cavalcade 3 round pin

Hi Chris,
The plug that fits is a ''Bulgin 5 Amp, 3 pin''. (Bulgin SA-1862).

They are no longer made, due to changes in mains connection legislation.
Since they are used on a lot of old valve equipment, Dynatron, Leak, Marshall, VOX etc., they have become rather expensive to replace.

Unless a kind member has one, search ebay.
Be careful to note the position of the small cut out on your socket. It is between two pins, top on your picture. The plug you need has to have its key in the same position. (There are versions with the key opposite one pin which will not fit.)

''... is there anything I'd need to do before powering it up?''
Go to the Vintage Audio section, have a read of the stickies and post a new thread asking for advice perhaps?

Good luck, Alan
Old 30th Jan 2019, 11:03 am   #3
Chris_jenkin
Diode

Thanks very much for the information Alan

You're right they are expensive!
Old 30th Jan 2019, 11:15 am   #4
paulsherwin

You can fit a different mains socket, or use a permanently wired connection through a grommet. You should only attempt this if you are technically competent to do so, as it can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
Old 30th Jan 2019, 12:23 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Re your initial post Chris, I would have said that the first thing you need to do is not to power it up immediately. This is to avoid damage-it's the best part of 50 years old! Good advice from Alan and our Moderator. If you are more experienced than you seem to be-my apologies.

Should you search this site [the panel above] re the Cavalcade, there are a number of threads. The one from 2012 gives a good idea of what needs to be checked out. Most of the others appear to end very quickly.

Dave W
Old 30th Jan 2019, 9:19 pm   #6
RojDW48
Octode

The reason these failed safety legislation IIRC is the fact they can be disassembled without the use of any tools (they unscrew). Worth bearing in mind if you have inquisitive small children in the house.
Old 30th Jan 2019, 10:07 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the past I've 'enhanced' the safety of Bulgin connectors by drilling a suitable hole through the side of the outer cover and into the body, tapping it 6BA and fitting a hex-socket grubscrew to positively-lock the cover to the main contact-carrying body of the connector.

If you're the type who is obsessed with original-appearance I guess you could rub some black shoe-polish or similar into the grubscrew-hole to conceal it.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 12:41 am   #8
RojDW48
Octode

Good thinking - I considered something like that to save the fuss of changing to IEC, but my child is now old enough to know better - anyway her idea of hi-fi fits in her pocket !
Old 1st Feb 2019, 4:03 pm   #9
Chris_jenkin
Diode

Thanks dave I'll do that.

There was a socket on ebay but it was a bit expensive for something that may not work. You're right I'm just learning about all this - Thanks for the advice.
Closed Thread