UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 12:17 pm   #1
NANETTE
Triode

Default So how rare is this Pye?

The Pye Mistral is relatively common. When i tracked down its designer Kenneth G Sadler, he referred to its big brother. (close friend of our hero Robin Day - festival hall etc). Have been looking for one for years, but now have one - the Pye Tempest - model 1404. If you google it there are none!!! Never managed that before. Do any members have one?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	139639  
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 9:32 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: So how rare is this Pye?

Not one I can remember ever seeing before, while as you say the Mistral turns up quite often. In case you're interested and haven't come across it yet, Boots of all people offered a clone of the Mistral back in the day - http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26956 . Doesn't seem likely they'll have had a Tempest copy in their range too, but who knows?

Paul
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:52 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Nice one, I've never seen one. What is the serial no, is it low?

John.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:03 am   #4
Mach One
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANETTE View Post
When i tracked down its designer Kenneth G Sadler, he referred to its big brother.
I had a Mistral as a boy. I also contacted Kenneth G Sadler a few years ago.

I also found a "Tempest" on e-Bay at around the same time and having bought it found that it was quite a different set. It was made up of older transistors and in my opinion does not look as though it was designed by Mr Sadler. It certainly does not advertise his name on it as the Mistral does.

Did he say that he designed it, then?
Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:01 am   #5
NANETTE
Triode

Indeed it does not say it was designed by Sadler, but he did (proudly) tell me about it!
The Model is 1404 and the Serial is 817027 - not exactly low..?
( Unlike my Q43/C which is serial 0000000001!)
Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. David
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:17 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I would expect there to be a date code somewhere in there, making it possibly 71 August, or 71 week 8. SN 027. I would say it is a rare set. Definitely not over three quarters of a million sets out there, they would be as common as Bush DAC90As and every collector would have a few.

John.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:29 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

The late Gordon Bussey would have had knowledge of this set. For many years he was in charge of all the historic stuff at Philips (I forget his official title) and that naturally included Pye. I'm thinking he must have at least mentioned the Tempest at some point in one of the many books that he wrote or co-wrote. Maybe in 'The Setmakers' ?
Old 28th Mar 2017, 12:44 pm   #8
Mach One
Heptode

At the risk of potentially going off-subject, do Philips (Pye) still have a history department? I'd love to contact them.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 1:51 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

I cannot say categorically, but I would think not, and that historical issues would be dealt with by 'the marketing communications' (advertising and PR) department. But someone on here will know I guess. You could try ringing various departments until you either get to the one you want or as close as is possible? In any case, in general they don't tend to have a lot of time for individuals and their queries - sad but true. I know from my time as PR Officer at Thorn EMI and later Crabtree Electrical, I was generally very busy promoting new products and although I found it interesting, I kinda dreaded the handwritten letters from people saying how they have an old Crabtree switch or socket, how they found it, is it rare, do we want to buy it, etc etc and of course once you reply they want to keep the conversation going!
Old 28th Mar 2017, 2:47 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

This site may interest you.
http://www.pyemuseum.org/index.php

Frank
Closed Thread