UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2014, 2:54 pm   #1
acollins22
Tetrode

Default RML380Z (1980's computer) repair - Leicestershire

Hello,

I have an RML380Z computer that I would like repairing. Can anyone help?

When powered on I get a screen full of static text. The screen should clear and display a prompt. I have simulated a keypress that should cause it to try and boot from the floppy but I don't see any attempt.

You can see some pictures and read a bit about it here. http://randomorbit.co.uk/index.php/r...rk-on-the-380z

Is anyone still looking after these old '80s machines?

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 12:00 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Nonode

Default Re: RML380Z (1980's computer) repair - Leicestershire

Andy,

I can't help you out directly with a repair. One possibility is that the information on your boot disc has just died from old age.

There is a forum devoted to vintage computing here:-

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum.php

In that forum there is a section dedicated to CP/M and this specific thread

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...hlight=rml380z

-which appears to hint at the existence of a 380Z fan group.

It points to a website where you can find some disc images and instructions for converting them into actual discs - you would need a PC equipped with a 5.25" drive.

There doesn't seen to have been much traffic on the website since it was set up, but you may find the disc images useful?

I had one of these machines in my hands for a brief time as a repair some time in the mid eighties, but unfortunately I can recall very little about them now.
Old 28th Oct 2014, 2:29 pm   #3
acollins22
Tetrode

Him

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't got as far as the disks having failed yet as the machine makes no attempt to access the drive.

That's an interesting post from the vintage forum. There may be some advice to be had on that Yahoo group, I'll take a look but really I'd like someone to offer their skills to fix it.

cheers,

Andy
Old 28th Oct 2014, 9:10 pm   #4
Lucien Nunes
Octode

Hi Andy

We have a few 380Zs and some documentation and disks at Electrokinetica. However, it is all in storage and I am too snowed under at the moment to offer any assistance with getting yours working. At some point in the next year or so, we will be setting up our display of vintage micros and various experts will hopefully be waving their magic wands at them. If you are not up and running by then, we might be able to help once the necessary resources are all to hand.

Lucien
Old 29th Oct 2014, 6:52 pm   #5
acollins22
Tetrode

Hello Lucien,

Thanks for the support. If I can't get it sorted before next year I'll gladly get back to you.

All the best with Electrokinetica, it sound like a great project.

Cheers,

Andy.
Closed Thread