UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2019, 7:36 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Dansette Conquest Auto Mk1

Having just re-read a number of previous threads about the Conquest Auto, and having one on my bench at the moment, I can confirm that this player uses a double wound Mains Transformer, so is fully isolated. It is also fitted with a 3-core mains lead of the old red, black & green variety so almost certainly left the factory back in 1963 with this mains lead fitted. I mention this because there appears to have been some confusion as to whether or not 3-core mains leads were or, could be, fitted. The mains earth in the example on which I'm working is taken to a point on the amplifier chassis close to the volume control, and the hum level is very low even at high volume settings. The person who asked me to service this player brought with it as a replacement cartridge what appears to be one of those Ronette clones, which, provided it will physically fit in the BSR pickup head, should give a good account of itself. THis is the first Conquest Auto on which I have worked and I have to say it isn't the easiest of record players to service, particularly in getting at the potentiometer sub-chassis to deal with a very noisy treble pot. This, as some members will know, cannot be accessed without first removing the Amplifier chassis, and this can only be achieved by first removing the complete chassis assembly from the player.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 11:14 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto Mk1

Yesterday, having had to remove the mains transformer to gain aaccess to the ECL82 Base, when refitting it I forgot about the piece of card which goes underneath the Mains Tx's base. Needless to say I refitted it, but wondered why it needed to be there, and all I could think of was maybe to minimise vibration. The laminations and clamp of the Transformer are at chassis potential as is the metal base on which it is mounted, so it cannot be for insulation, in addition to which I have seen many amplifiers, radios, etc., where no card is placed between the base of the transformer and chassis, so, can anyone better explain why Dansette thought it necessary to fit a piece of card to this model?
Old 20th Sep 2019, 11:40 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I cannot explain this at all. I know transformer laminations can sometime produce a resonance/internal buzz - amplified via the shroud, but I cannot believe the Margolins would have added anything to any Dansette other than that which was absolutely essential!
Old 20th Sep 2019, 12:54 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As far as I'm aware, Edward, the Conquest is, or was, until I replaced the noisy Treble Pot, completely original.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 3:48 pm   #5
tracypaper
Octode

I have done many Dansette Conquest Autos and can not remember ever seeing a piece of card under the TX? but I found the card under a TX from A transistorized Marconiphone just the other day, though the TX was mounted to The plastic moulded platter the deck sits in, could it be some kind of heat shield
Gaz.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 4:43 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

To stop the laminations shorting together perhaps?
Old 20th Sep 2019, 4:52 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You could be right, Bill. I never thought of that!
Old 20th Sep 2019, 7:29 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Only guessing, depends on the transformer construction.
Old 20th Sep 2019, 9:29 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I haven't studied it in detail, but it appears to be of conventional construction, with 'E' & 'I' leaves (if that's the right term), and a clamp, by which it's secured to the chassis.
Old 21st Sep 2019, 9:39 am   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

Perhaps the clamp is slightly too tall and could leave a gap between the lams and the Chassis causing the transformer to move/vibrate.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 5:41 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Two further comments (1) Despite the piece of card under the mains Tx, there is still a small amount of 'buzz', perhaps normal for this type of player (2) having fitted the new cartridge, I now have to reassemble the player and test it out. Hopefully it'll be OK, but I may have to bypass the switches in the two switched RCA Sockets as these are unreliable. I don't have any data for the cartridge, but I guess it should track at 4 to 6 grams.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 7:31 am   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You don't mention the type of BSR Autochanger fitted, but if the amplifier uses an ECL82 valve then the autochanger is probably a BSR UA12 or UA14 and ideally should track at c.5 grams - but no lighter. The Ronette clone cartridge should fit the BSR's tone arm head OK, but they do not have a good reputation. The one you have is likely to be a Mono only type which will damage Stereo records.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 9:15 am   #13
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The autochanger is a UA14, Edward, and the cartridge is a stereo 4-pin type fitted with a turn over stylus, one tip of which is specified as being for stereo lps/45s, the other for mono discs. I'm aware that these cartridges are not highly thought of on the forum, but it was brought to me by the record player's owner, who asked me to fit it. As you are no doubt aware, Musonic are are now asking £60 for these, not that i know what was paid for the one I've now fitted.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 11:10 am   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Without photos I could only assume, so thanks for letting me know. Assume you will now bridge the LH and RH channels as it might be best to by-pass those long trailing leads ending in dodgy phono switched sockets at the rear.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 12:15 pm   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'll no doubt do that, Edward, but check with the owner first. Hopefully he won't want to connect an extension speaker or 2nd. channel amplifier, though he possibly may want to connect a tape recorder, though that can be via an unswitched socket. As you no doubt know the extension speaker connectio in these is wired via a switched socket which switches out one of the two internal speakers.
Old 1st Oct 2019, 1:19 pm   #16
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Having started to reassemble the amplifier/control panel assembly into the cabinet (a fiddly job IMHO!) I'm wondering if I should replace the selenium rectifier with a 1N400Xdiode and suitable series resistor. The rectifier is O.k. at the moment, putting out 240vDC, and the by now 56 year old reservoir & smoothing cap. is fine-it stays cool even after some 15 minutes operation= with about 145v on the smoothing cap. side. Other voltages seem O.K. to me. In these circumstances what would other members do?
Old 1st Oct 2019, 1:31 pm   #17
Techman
Dekatron

Absolutely leave as original as it's not known for failure in this particular player as far as I know. We know that in a certain Bush model that it's a known problem part and is genuinely a 'change on sight' component due to it being nearly always 'faulty as found' anyway.
Old 1st Oct 2019, 1:58 pm   #18
John10b
Nonode

I tend to agree with Techman, otherwise you could end up changing most of the old components and present a hefty bill to your customer.
Cheers
John
Old 1st Oct 2019, 7:04 pm   #19
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have left the selenium rectifier and original reservoir/smoothing capacitor in place, and will reconnect the socket strip (Stereo-L.S.-Tape) as originally wired, having re-checked the switches in the two switched phono sockets, though I may well bridge out the switches as I've already been told that the Conquest will only be used as a simple mono record player. As to what I charge for my efforts, this has already been quite a time-consuming job, mainly because of the dismantling needed to get at the control panel in order to replace a very noisy treble control pot, so a number of hours have already been spent, with the reassembly to finish yet!
Old 1st Oct 2019, 8:02 pm   #20
John10b
Nonode

I’m retired and all the repairs I may carry out I do so free of any charge, but I do ask for something for the tea kitty, and perhaps a slice of cake, of course parts have to be paid for.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread