UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2019, 9:25 am   #1
Tony_Sterling
Tetrode

Default Sound Sales radiogram

I have an original 1947 Sound sales radiogram with a pair of PX4 output valves. I am using a Goldring Lenco record deck in place of the original 78 only deck, but there is not enough amplification so I need to make a small pre amp. Has anyone got a suitable circuit diagram I could scrounge. I think the very transformers in the radio would supply enough power for a couple of valves.
Tony, ta.
Old 17th Sep 2019, 7:52 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Sound Sales radiogram

Do you need an RIAA preamp for a magnetic cartridge or just some flat gain for a ceramic/crystal type?

Either way you would be better off going solid state unless valves are a prerequisite.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Sep 2019, 9:40 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

A search on either eBay or Amazon will turn up quite a few self contained disc preamp boxes with RIAA EQ for magnetic cartridges. Prices are generally under £30 and power is typically battery, mains or USB socket.

I bought one a year or two ago and it works well

Martin
Old 17th Sep 2019, 9:41 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

If it was me, and to keep it in keep it as original as possible, I would keep the 78 deck, and have the Lenco outside the cabinet, with a built in pre-amp to plug into the radiogram.

if you must put the Lenco into the cabinet, then i personally would use valves from that period, ie EF37 / ECC33.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread