UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:08 pm   #1
Grommett
Retired Dormant Member

Default RTT 56B not ringing.

Apologies if this has already been covered. A friend picked up this phone for me at a vintage fair. It has been converted and plugs in to my virgin hub and I can dial out and talk.

When I call it from my mobile, it doesn’t ring. If I pick up the handset while calling from the mobile, the call connects and I can talk.

It just seems that the bells aren’t working. I don’t know if it’s because the bells are faulty or if the hub simply doesn’t provide enough power for the bells? My more modern phone rings fine.

I would love to get it working so thanks in advance.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 12:58 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: RTT 56B not ringing.

I may be way off here but is the telephone service from the hub presented on a standard BT socket, or is it a small RJ11 and they have supplied an adaptor?

Depending on how the Belgium phone was converted, it may need a capacitor to couple the ringing signal on pin 3 of the plug, that would explain why your modern phone rings.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 8:22 am   #3
Grommett
Retired Dormant Member

They supplied an adapter so you could be right. Can you give me any more info on what type of capacitor and where/how to fit it?

Thanks

Ian
Old 6th Jun 2019, 8:37 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you have a spare UK ADSL filter to hand, try inserting that between the 'phone's plug and the socket it's plugged into. Most of these include a ringing capacitor to the 'phone outlet.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 11:17 am   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's actually completely separate from the hub, just a POTs line from the street cabinet. It will have a master LJU.
Old 6th Jun 2019, 1:38 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
It's actually completely separate from the hub, just a POTs line from the street cabinet. It will have a master LJU.
I suspect the OP is a minority of VM customers with FTTP, and a telephone service provisioned over VoIP

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 6th Jun 2019 at 1:48 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2019, 4:35 pm   #7
Grommett
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Graham.

I tried the adsl filter and it worked! Amazing!
I am really pleased, you really know your stuff.
Thanks 🙏
Old 21st Jul 2019, 11:17 am   #8
Grommett
Retired Dormant Member

Although the ringing now works, I can’t hear the other party. They can hear me.
Any suggestions that I can try??
Old 21st Jul 2019, 4:15 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Two questions: 1) Is it just the other party you can't hear and can you hear your own voice? 2) Is this a new problem, or were you never able to hear the distant party?

If you can't, and never could, hear any sound in your receiver (earpiece), it may be that either this or the secondary of the induction coil is open-circuit. Try a multimeter across first the receiver inset. If that is OK (sensible-sounding resistance reading), locate the induction coil if you can, otherwise post pictures of the circuitry both above and below the circuit board so that someone else can.

If your combination of answers is different from the above, report back and let's see where we can take it from there.