UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:15 am   #1
PaulR
Nonode

Default Bsr p170

Edit I think it is actually an MP60 from looking at more photos!!

I have discovered that a BSR P170 will just about fit into my Decallian record player. The original deck takes XMS styli which are unobtainable. I have a rather sad P170 which has the suspension springs and the large clips from the bottom of the transit screws missing.

Does anyone have such a deck that they do not want, or the missing bits so that I can use the Deccalian record player?

Thank you

Last edited by PaulR; 2nd Feb 2019 at 11:38 am.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:51 am   #2
RojDW48
Octode

Default Re: Bsr p170

I don't have a McDonald but I do have a few old BSRs (also 3 early Deccalians - aren't they nice! I fitted a Garrard 2025 to one of them). I'll have a look - I expect the parts are interchangeable?

Roger
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:13 pm   #3
Restoration73
Octode

Just for the record (!) the BSR P128R was an MP60 with a steel platter.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:16 pm   #4
RojDW48
Octode

Are these the type of spring - I have plenty of them - also transit screw clips - Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250973.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	177553  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:54 pm   #5
PaulR
Nonode

Thanks for the replies. To be honest I am not sure what the model of the deck is. It is badged Rank Audio and came in a 1970s music centre which somebody gave me. I have never really looked at it properly until now and it is not bad quality for the type, similar to an SP25. It has a steel platter and anti-skate adjustment.

I have to admit that I have taken bits and pieces off it over the years but I have managed to find all but the springs and, I now find, the centre spindle. Looking at the original mounting I don't think it ever had the bottom parts of the transit screws. The paint has suffered from being in the loft for many years and the grease is totally solid but these are not a problem if I can get the missing parts.

The springs aren't the usual conical ones as per your photo, Roger, they are cylindrical and fit over small rings on the bottom of the deck. Having looked at some BSR McDonald decks on ebay I think they were common to this range of decks.

If I do get it working I am wondering about fitting a MM pre amp and trying a G800 cartridge or similar

Although I have restored the amp I have never actually heard it working yet due to the lack of stylus, but it is interesting that you managed to fit a Garrard deck to one as I assumed there would not be enough space.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 1:49 pm   #6
RojDW48
Octode

Are there 4 springs - one in each corner, quite small? I might have some of those. Does yours have the 6V6GT single ended amp? That makes a very nice noise. I fitted my SG188 RP with an MM pre-amp and a Goldring Elan cart. To be honest it didn't match very well and I shall probably switch back to a ceramic......at some time!
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 1:59 pm   #7
PaulR
Nonode

Yes that's the one - and those are the springs! I have quite a bit of work to do to bring the deck up to working order but if I have the parts it will be worth while.

There seems to be some sort of equalisation circuit at the front end of the amp. Did you bypass this when using a ceramic cartridge?
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 2:29 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The equalising circuit was designed to match the original Decca cartridge/s. I would certainly by-pass this if you are going to use a crystal/ceramic cartridge.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 3:17 pm   #9
RojDW48
Octode

Hopefully these are what you are looking for Paul? They have been harvested from a C123R2 (which has already donated quite a few bits to the cause).

I seem to recall a step-up TX in the old Deccalian circuit (?) which I by-passed. I used a Sonotone mono cart - also slipped a switched mini jack socket into the line so I could connect a CD player - that really did reveal the quality of that nice little amp!

Send me a PM with address if they are the business and I'll pop them in the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250974.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	177557  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 3:47 pm   #10
Hartley118
Octode

The step-up transformer was used in the original '78 only' Deccalian with the type C low impedance head. The later Deccalians with 2 or 3-speed decks AFAIK all used the plug-in type D 'club head' XMS heads with silver or green sole plates which are high impedance. So there was no need for a transformer. The bass equalizer that you'll need to disconnect consists of R2 (5K1) and C1 (0.05 uF) and C2 (0.05uF).

Bear in mind that the first stage of the Deccalian amplifier, rather unsatisfactorily, uses the head itself as the grid leak. So, if you're substituting a crystal or ceramic cartridge, you'll need to connect a new grid leak resistor from pin 4 of the 6SL7 to chassis; 1 megohm should be fine for starters. Bear in mind that the amplifier has lots of gain and feeding it straight from a crystal cartridge might well overload the first stage. You could increase the value of series resistor R1 (68K) to, say, 1M and reduce the grid leak to, say, 220K to make an input attenuator.

There's lots of scope for experiment. A further step would be to play around with the values of treble cut capacitors C3 (0.003 uF) and C4 (0.02uF) until switch S1 give you a useful tone control/scratch filter effect.

Best of luck!

Martin
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 4:49 pm   #11
PaulR
Nonode

Thank you Roger, they are the ones. I will send a PM.

My version has a 3 speed deck and no step up transformer so I will experiment with a grid leak resistor. I don't suppose that the gain is sufficient to use a modern magnetic cartridge?
Old 4th Feb 2019, 2:21 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Noting no reply to this as yet, it would not be suitable for the c.5mV output of a modern MM cartridge.