UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2018, 3:01 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Pye CT480

Hi, im interested in a Pye CT480, but I don't know if it is colour or not? Im assuming colour by the age of it, but just want to make sure.

Thanks
Old 4th Dec 2018, 3:11 pm   #2
linescan87
Heptode

Default Re: Pye CT480

It's a colour set and is fitted with the Philips G11 chassis. There a couple of threads here, entering the model into the search box above will take you to them.

Regards, John Joe.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 4:06 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, i'll have a read right now.

Thanks
Old 5th Dec 2018, 11:24 am   #4
1955APREN
Hexode

Important Note
please make sure that the large capacitor on the power supply board is coloured Blue & not red. If it is red change it for a blue one B4 plugging in
Regards
Derrick
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:00 pm   #5
music-centre
Heptode

Wasn't it the Frame IC on these that failed a lot as well? I remember changing one on a G11 I had a long time ago and putting a holder in for it.

Not bad sets to work on though, I got a couple fixed just to use years ago.
Steve.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:13 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

Not a beginner's set, you'll be miles out of your depth here.

As no-one's mentioned it yet I must point out that since these sets use a bridge rectifier circuit the metalwork inside is all 'live' regardless of how the mains plug is wired. It's OK if you know the risks and how to mitigate them, but potentially lethal if you don't.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 8:48 pm   #7
1100 man
Octode

Hmm- I would probably have to agree with Studio263. Not an easy set to start with. I know you are not really expecting to repair it and that you are trying to find a working set to start with.

Don't even think of getting a G11 sent by courier as I guess you are trying to do from your other thread. TV's don't travel well and the G11 has a very massive yoke assembly sitting on the tube neck. The chances of a broken tube when the set gets dropped (and it will) are almost guaranteed!

Repairing actual faults with any old TV is only one aspect to ownership. The other is setting it up correctly to get the best picture out of it. These are not 'plug and play' things!
Whilst the G11 doesn't need as many convergence adjustments as a G8, it still has a fair few to get the three primary coloured rasters to register correctly.

Other adjustments on any set will include some or all of the following:

Frame height
Frame general linearity
Frame top linearity
Frame hold
Line linearity
Picture width
Line hold
Picture focus
Pin cushion correction
Picture rotation
Red, green & blue gun cutoff controls
Red & green drive controls
Set HT or set EHT control.
Beam current limiter
4.433Mhz reference oscillator
Other Pal decoder adjustments.

All of these adjustments need to be done with the set working so you MUST be confident you understand how to work on it safely.

Just because a set is described as 'working', doesn't mean it is going to produce a decent picture! You really need to see the set in operation before you buy it. I would expect to have to give any old set a full set up to get it to work to it's best.

I would recommend you wait for something you like to appear near enough to you to go and look at. Remember a TV set will be destroyed by a courier!!

All the best
Nick
Old 5th Dec 2018, 11:01 pm   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

I never actually gave the innards a thought, actually, but I know I should've...

I did ask the seller how she would pack the TV for courier, mainly because of the glass on the CRT, I didn't want that to get ruined.

I'll happily set it up too, with all the convergence adjusting and such. I'm more than happy to have to work on it, as I know in due time I will have to.

I'm just struggling to find a nice set, in my price range, that works, near-by. I would consider a non-working set, IF I knew how to get them working again, but right now, that's a big No-No.

Also with the information on these sets I've been given on this thread, I think ill have to pass on it and carry on looking.

Thanks
Old 26th Dec 2018, 4:59 pm   #9
Vectamart
Pentode

Reading some of the comments in this thread leads me to stress the importance of two pieces of equipment for anyone contemplating working on CRT TVs. These are (1) An isolating transformer and (2) a variac. Many years ago, I nearly came to grief when checking a Hitachi CTV on which some idiot had replaced the aerial socket with a non-isolated one, meaning of course that it was at chassis volts, i.e. 300V of pulsating DC. Nowadays, I never work without an isolating TX.
Old 26th Dec 2018, 8:39 pm   #10
Michael Maurice

Lets face it, any colour TV from this era is going to be complicated.

The frame chip always did have a holder, but one of the pins, I think it was 14 or 16 went dry jointed and burnt the socket taking out the chip at the same time. Willow Valve brought out an improved socket but that was 25 years ago.

So what other sets from that era could we recommend?

I wouldn't touch Sony, they were very very complex and the special devices are NLA.

ITT CVC20-30-40 could be a good choice.

I've never worked on Thorn, pre TX9 / 10 so cant comment.

The Grundigs were nice.

Philip's K30's better,

If INH thinks he's going to get a TV from that era which will be trouble free, think again. They weren't that reliable even when new!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Dec 2018, 10:50 am   #11
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I wouldn't touch Sony, they were very very complex and the special devices are NLA.
Not really, they just work in a slightly different way to a conventional British / European design. I've seen or owned most of them and none (possibly bar the Profeel) were complex, not in the way that a BRC 2000 or a B&O 3400 is in any case.

As an example, Sony's KV-1800UB is no more complicated than it's closest British rival, the 18" RBM Z718 (in fact, in some respects it is a great deal simpler!). The 13" ones were also a masterclass in striking a balance between circuit economy and receiver performance. Clever? Yes. Complex? No.
Closed Thread