UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2006, 8:50 pm   #1
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valuation needed

Hi,

I've been asked to value some magazines, and have no idea where to start!

There are around 50 copies of "Television and Shortwave Journal", covering the period of 1935 to 1938 (complete set?). They contain many interesting articles on Scophony, Baird, EMI systems, North American systems and the like, and are in good condition. There are also a lot of constructional items.

Does anyone have any idea what they may be worth? I've never even seen a copy before

Thanks

Jim.
Old 18th Jan 2006, 10:58 pm   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Valuation needed

I've a few copies which I was lucky to pick up for a quid each, but I know I was lucky. I've also borrowed most of the 1935 issues and scanned lots of interesting stuff from them so I know they are an interesting read.

But they don't appear that often so it is difficult to say what their value is. I'd certainly pay a ton for 'em but without testing them on Fleabuy who can say what they are worth. All's I know is they 'aint worth a fiver each ... ask the dealer who I think a year ago at (IIRC) harpendon didn't sell any !

[Note to Paul S : Re animated smilies, we could really do with an animated "muppet" one here ]

TTFN,
Jon
Old 19th Jan 2006, 12:42 am   #3
Danny
Heptode

Hi there is a movie shop in norwich that had some of these and i bought a couple with tv stuff he charged £1.50 each at the time and hes a hardend dealer so jons price was ten bob cheaper on an individual item and 2quid is probrably tops but hew knows with fleebay. thay do sound interesting
and it would be nice if someone scanned them and made the scans available to us on cd rom and i would be interested if you cant sellem.
Danny
Old 19th Jan 2006, 1:44 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Jon, Danny,

thanks for your comments. I wanted to ask, as they are being disposed of as part of an estate sale, and I wanted to make sure I made a fair offer.

If I get them, I will certainly make parts available, either through my site or others.

Thanks again

Jim.
Old 19th Jan 2006, 1:51 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, single copies of mags from this period will often go for about £2 each, but people are usually looking at discount for quantity, maybe down to £1 each. In bound volumes they can sell for up to £50 a vol on a good (flea)bay day. This would also depend on the type and condition of the binding.
Special show numbers may go for more as they are often very useful for identifying that years sets.
I was asked to value some bound Wireless Worlds from the 30's some time ago and gave a similar figure for a good day. The seller was most upset when I said that I personally would only go to £15 a volume as I wanted them for the tech content, not collectability.

Ed
Closed Thread