UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2006, 7:24 am   #1
grizzy68
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve and Tube storage

What is the best way to store tubes. I looked online and they sell white boxes and they are as much as the tubes I bought. There has to be a better way to keep a tube inventory.
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 10:27 am   #2
Sam
Hexode

Default Re: tube storage

It took a long time, but I made myself lots of little boxes out of cereal-box card!

Sam
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 10:40 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

For bulk packing you can take strips of thin card and cut slots at regular intervals. Then another set of strips for the other direction and interlock them to make a grid of compartments which you put in a suitably sized box or tray.

Blue Peter rules OK!
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 10:52 am   #4
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
...which you put in a suitably sized box or tray.
And for the suitable sized tray a trip to the supermarket for some old apple (etc.) crates will do - they stack well too.
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 11:42 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

For older/larger valves I fill shoe boxes with toilet roll tubes

David
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 12:10 pm   #6
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

It's also surprising how many household items come in suitably sized small boxes. Don't forget toothpaste tube boxes and the various boxes medicines, creams etc. come in. All they need is a sticky label so you can write the contents on.
Old 4th Jan 2006, 1:52 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I never throw small boxes away, but they do tend to build up over the months and become a nuisance. I think it must be something psychological about boxes. They just seem to be useful things, or is it just another one of my obsessions? For valves which are not in their original packing, I keep them in metal drawers, but you have to be careful not to overfill the drawer as they can snag when opening and break (!)

Biggles.
Old 4th Jan 2006, 3:19 pm   #8
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

All of the above , The biggest problem is where to store all the storage boxes......... .

Regards, Mick.
Old 5th Jan 2006, 2:34 pm   #9
Gordon
Pentode

I cut a sheet 25mm polystyrene to fit it into the bottom of a shoe box (I too have a problem with collecting boxes). Plug the valves into the polystyrene sheet and give the box a reference number, I then have an alpha/numeric index cross referring to a box.
Gordon.
Old 5th Jan 2006, 2:51 pm   #10
g1wosjohn
Retired Dormant Member

Always remember to store your Tubes (Valves) in DRY Conditions.It's amazing how many Rare and Expensive Tubes (Valves) I've come across RUINED by damp corroding the wires from the Glass Pinch to the Pins !!
Also Metal types going RUSTY.Ever tryed finding out what a rusty Metal Octal really is !!!.John G1WOS.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 11:26 pm   #11
Alan_Douglas
Retired Dormant Member

I keep my shop stock in shoebox-sized corrugated-cardboard trays, sorted by first digit or subdivided by letters after the first digit (6A, 6B, 6C-D, 6E-F etc) if the original box gets too crowded. Within each tray, the tubes are loose if used, or boxed if new. It's easy to expand the system as needed. This is for US tube types, but since the op asked about "tubes" rather than "valves" I presume he is on this side of the pond too.
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 9:01 pm   #12
zak
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy68
What is the best way to store tubes. I looked online and they sell white boxes and they are as much as the tubes I bought. There has to be a better way to keep a tube inventory.
Hi
Where did you find the supplier?
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 9:57 pm   #13
grizzy68
Retired Dormant Member

www.radiodaze.com
www.tubesandmore.com
Closed Thread